My Computer Blues - My Computer Contents seems to..

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

vinod

Post by vinod »

Hi pals..

Have you ever noticed the 2xExplorer not restoring the My computer folder?. Any idea to get rid of it..?

:wave:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what's your problem?
my (your) computer won't automatically refresh for mapped/removed network drives, if that's what you mean

you'll have to manually refresh with [Ctrl+R] or collapse & reexpand the tree, depending on your location
vinod

Post by vinod »

Hi Nik,

What I mean to say is :-

We have a folder in Windows known as "My Computer". ie. what you get when you click on the my-computer icon on the desktop. It normally shows the Drives and ctrl panel etc.
The Problem i am experiencing with 2xExplorer is that:-
Assume I quit 2xExplorer with the above mentioned folder as the active folder content(ie. My-Computer Folder); The next time when I re-open 2xExploerer it is not restoring the "My-Computer" Folder contents, wherein it shows some arbitarary directory in the pane.

Hope I have conveyed my problem clearly this time ;)

Thanx for the interest shown!

-Vinod.
INDIA.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok, now i'm with you!

sadly, 2x doesn't really like "virtual" folders like YourComputer since they don't have proper text paths -- although they do have those quirky ::{CLSID} descriptions but i only discovered that too late for poor 2x

you'll be glad to hear that the new xplorer2 remembers where you left it, be it normal filesystem or virtual
vinod

Post by vinod »

Thanx a lot for the reply.
I'm just waiting for that 2xExplorer with the new Core ;)

can you pls provide some option ( or is there any?! ) to selectively disable the icon extraction of drives?

Another good addition to the shortcut-keys would be a
Ctrl+Shift+F5 to immediately create a shortcut in the opposite pane.

I would be glad to have a feature, which would allow me to drag a shortcut (for  a program/folder ) to the address bar and get the corresponding folder opened...

Thanx again.

Vinod
INDIA.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

>selectively disable the icon extraction of drives

registry.txt mentions bUsePlainIcons for this purpose, but it will give you plain icons throughout. Blazing performance though!

>Ctrl+Shift+F5 to immediately create a shortcut in the opposite pane

not a bad idea this!
i'm sure the official forum Feature List Manager is taking a note as we speak :)

>drag a shortcut (for a program/folder ) to the address bar and get the corresponding folder opened

for folders, just hit return on the shortcut. For plain shortcuts, use [Ctrl+L] -- the find target command
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Hey, I didn't notice. There's a modifier for the mouse for creating shortcuts without a keyboard equivalent for the keyboard-oriented people?

Ts, Ts! Where's your soft spot, Nikos? ;-)

Maybe even Ctrl-Shft-F5 for creating link in the active pane (can be useful for moving that one directly with F6 to a memorized location. I do that often) and Ctrl-Shft-Alt-F5 for the opposite pane? Consistent with the alt modifier?

BRX
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i was thinking to place a check box in the CopyTo dialog that forced the creation of (soft) links instead of copying files -- naturally with a keyboard equivalent, too

i don't know but for creating links i always find more convenient to use drag-drop either left with modifiers or right drag. I must be getting softer in my old age...