Bookmarks ? - Bookmarks are shadowed and don't work !

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

djp9

Post by djp9 »

Hi All,

I just discovered 2xExplorer and I'm blown away with the product.

One annoying thing though.
I really need the bookmark facility, but they are shadowed and when I Control+Shift+0,1,2,3 etc... nothing happens.

I somehow managed to get control+shift+0 to work, but I don't know how.

regards, Dave
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Bookmarking is easy. Just make sure you press all the keys at the same time e.g. [Ctrl+Shift+1], and the boomark will be set at the current folder. Another little detail is that the number 0,1... should come from the main keyboard, not the numeric keypad.

some people have mentioned problems with international keyboards (russian etc). If this is your problem, try switching to an english layout to see if this would help. However, if this solves your problem it will cause me a problem ;) since that would be a bug!
djp9

Post by djp9 »

Hm,

It just aint working !

I tried Control+Shift+1 with Control & Shift from the right side of my keyboard and I get an error saying:
V:\ is not accessible - the folder has moved ????

I'll try a different keyboard when I get a minute and let you know.

Thanks Dave
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

well, you got me fully baffled here... if you're pressing all the keys at the same time it should work.

> V:\ is not accessible - the folder has moved

this error would indicate that you are not pressing [Shift] and 2x is trying to take you to bookmark # 1 which seems to be pointing to the inexisting mapped drive V (??)

I have run out of guesses here. You could try hacking the registry after quitting 2x to add your bookmarks manually by adding entries to the key:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\2xExplorer\BookMarks
Things should look a bit like this picture:
cptnOm

Post by cptnOm »

One point that might be added to the 2xExplorer FAQs: The program will not remember your bookmarks unless "Save program state on exit" is selected under View / Options. It took me some time to figure this out.

Since I like the program to come up the same way every time, I keep this option unchecked. It would be handy for me, anyway if the program rembered bookmarks without this option in effect.

Cheers!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i'm afraid 2x's "memory" is an all or nothing situation
but if you manage bookmarks yourself as explained in FAQ# 20 then you'll no longer need this "save settings" option
burale

Post by burale »

Ok - that was it: MyIE - Tools (either autopop-up filter or content filter is interfering with ability to post/search anywhere but on the intro-problems section)

I have same situation as previous poster: All set bookmarks options are "grayed" allways. I'm about to try your registry-fix to see if I can add a couple manually.

I hear what you're saying about pushing shift+control+number together, but if the "bookmarks" dropdown is grayed I've got to believe something else is wrong too - dontcha think ;-)

Hopefully, I'll be able to find the "notify by e-mail" for this thread and get your answer if any.

Regards ... Alec
Regards ... Alec
burale

Post by burale »

OK - now I understand: Cntrl+Shift+'N' when it appears grayed is just keying instructions, not a way to set the bookmark. I thought I tried keying it but maybe I keyed Ctrl+Shift+F1 (function key).

Btw: if like me you are coming to 2xExplorer having used PowerDesk and had (as had I) set up extensive "Favorites" then:
"C:\Program Files\Ontrack\PowerDesk\<login>\Favorites" makes a dandy first bookmark. :beer:

Regards ... Alec (this may wind up as a double sig we'll see)
Regards ... Alec
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

to recap: as the menu command says, press Ctrl+Shift+NUMBER all at the same time to set a bookmark at NUMBER. Then it will be accessible with Ctrl+NUMBER or the relevant Bookmark menu item which now becomes available. For example to set bookmark #1 you press [Ctrl+Shift+1] (not F1)

you'll find that things are a bit rougher compared to powerdesk here, but equally as efficient -- if not even more so