Could it be a (XP) bug?

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Manitoba's Wild Kingdom

Post by Manitoba's Wild Kingdom »

Ah, gotta love Windows XP!
Anyways, I may have uncovered another XP bug, to do with Compression Folders.
2xExplorer (at least on my system), seems to spontaneously shut down when extracting files using Compression Folders. If I have a zip archive in view in one of the panes, and I right-click and select "Extract All", the wizard pops up, starts going thru the motions, and usually when I reach the stage of typing in the folder to extract to, or browsing to it, 2xExplorer just closes, along with the Compression Folders wizard!!!
Yet again, it could be just my PC doing something it shouldn't, however I don't have any problems viewing the contents of zip archives with 2x, so it has me perplexed.  ???
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i've seen it too (but only once). It is a true disappearance act, a quick death, not even the "we apologize for the inconvenience" message box gets a chance to pop-up :)

i'll look into the problem, although it seems that the cause is the extract dialog itself doing something it shouldn't be doing. A temporary workaround is to extract files without the wizard (which seems like a waste of time anyway); instead get into the zipfolder, select all files and hit F5 or drag/drop to the intended destination

I have also seen intermittent crashes when files are Send to-ed into a new compressed folder with the context menu, which is yet another unresolved mystery...

Edited By nikos on April 17 2002 at 06:02