Suggestion: copying file name or path+name

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

PhilipSutton

Post by PhilipSutton »

How about when you are in a file pane and you right click on a file that you have three copy options:

- copy file (current capability)
- copy file *name* to clipboard
- copy *path and file name* to clipboard

I know I can get this info now via 'rename' & copy for the file name and via Ctrl-enter in the address bar for the path and filename.  I am just craving two click convenience.
Philip Sutton
Australia
http://www.green-innovations.asn.au/
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

well, I have added this command already in xplorer² if that's any consolation <g>

for the present 2xExplorer, except for the roundabout ways you mentioned, I would recommend a "powertoy" extension that adds an item to the "SendTo" menu called "Clipboard as name" which does exactly what you want -- no keyboard required

i'm not sure where you can download these powertoys nowadays, but if you do a google on the name it should give you the spot
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Hi Phil,

that feature doesn't really need to be implemented. There are several free and fine working shell extensions for Windows Explorer which of course work well in 2xExplorer doing just what you want.

For example try

Ninotech Path Copy

http://www.image.dk/~ninotech

for your specific need only or

rjhExtensions (sorry, no URL right now, you have to google for it)

for this feature and some more extensions.

BRX
PhilipSutton

Post by PhilipSutton »

Progress report: using a 'Copy Filename for Clipboard' utility/shell extender in conjunction with 2xExplorer has been fantastically useful..........read on.......

Dear Nikos and BRX,

In April 2002 I posted a message asking for xplorer2 to have the capacity to copy the file name or the path/file name (extended names and 8.3 format names) to the clipboard by right clicking on the file.

Both Nikos and BRX drew my attention to the existence of shell extention programs that can be loaded that give this functionality to Windows Explorer/2xExplorer/xplorer2 or any program of similar kind.

I finally found a program that suited me (had the functions and ran on my machine).  It was "Copy Path to Clipboard"
This program can be found at: www.jimischopp.com/cpshext/

This program - being a general shell extender also works with the Windows 'open file' and 'save file' dialogue boxes that pop up when most programs access files.  The end result is that I can copy file paths through virtually every program and then I can drop the file path into 2xExplorer and get immediate access to the file.

And if I'm working in 2xExplorer I can copy the paths for files I'm working on and then immediately access them through other programs that can't be invoked by clicking on the file in 2xExplorer etc.

Anyway, to sum up:  the productivity boost that I get by running BOTH 2xexplorer and a suitable shell-extender utility for copying path/filename to the clipboard" is quite fantastic. I strongly urge all 2xExplorer users to do the same.

You could use "Copy Path to Clipboard" or you could try one of the other programs available: eg. http://www.image.dk/~ninotech

To find these programs just do a web search on:

copy path clipboard

Nikos, I think that the option of using a companion shell extender should be included in the xplorer2 help documentation - perhaps together with one or two leads to specific programs.

Cheers, Philip
Philip Sutton
Australia
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i'm glad you found your nirvana in the file management playground  :)

just a note: from what you wrote it seems like you are not aware of one really cool feature in 2x:

If you drag a file/folder and drop it in 2x's Address bar, then the program will oblige, taking you to the container folder and selecting the dropped item automatically. It's like typing the full path of the item -- but without breaking any fingernails  :)

For this and other obscure party tricks everybody should take a look at keyboard.txt
PhilipSutton

Post by PhilipSutton »

Progress comes from progress.....what I've just found out.....read on.......

:bigsmile: Finding one's bliss in the file management playground is a bewdiful thung!!!

And you are right that I had not discovered the full power of the file/folder drag + drop into the address bar.

Following your advice I've just gone back and read keyboard.txt and, low and behold, there's the reference that you alluded to  :blush: ....

> "I. MISCELLANEOUS COMMANDS
> ---------------------------------
> (snip)
> (*) Drag any folder/file from your desktop and drop it onto
> the address bar to browse the target without typing the
> pathname."

Now this help text talks about dropping files from the desktop - which might be useful occassionally.  What it doesn't say is that it works from any interface with the Windows explorer function eg. the 'open file' and 'save file' dialogue boxes in any program running through Windows.

And magically you can keep open/save dialogue box visible while 2xExplorer is also visible (without having to resort to forcing 2xExplorer to stay-on-top) if you click on and immediately drag a file or folder across from the other program into the 2xExplorer address bar.

Doing this achieves most of what I've been doing using the  "Copy Path to Clipboard" shell extender.

So this is indeed 'one really cool feature' of 2xExplorer synergising with the Windows explorer shell.

So when the help text is created for xplorer2 (and after file drag&drop to the address bar function has been incorporated) could you include a reference to the extra places you can drag files from??

Anyway, I'll now try this 2xExplorer feature and see if I can reach a higher state of bliss than my current, seriously high level.

Cheers, Philip
Philip Sutton
Australia
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sorry, i meant that you can drag from anywhere, including open boxes, other explorer windows, rival file managers, even 2xExplorer itself (this doesn't make much sense though). That's the beauty of shell integration! I think I'll write another tips-n-tricks article and include a few of these features like the address bar drop-target capability
PhilipSutton

Post by PhilipSutton »

Hi Nikos,

Thanks for the Alt+C Alt+Shift+C short cuts.

In your explanatory text for the Omega version of 2xExplorer you said:

> the new Alt+C shortcut (Edit menu) is totally sweet. You get all
> the selected names inserted in the clipboard in a swift stroke. On
> top of that you can automatically get the short (DOS) 8.3 pathnames
> if you hold down 'Shift' at the same time (i.e. Alt+Shift+C all
> simultaneously). I regret that this command will send a number of
> context-menu based pathname copy solution provider applications into
> receivership and/or forced administration.

I've now had a while to compare using the new 'copy path to clipboard' functions of 2xExplorer with using a stand alone shell extender eg. "Copy Path to Clipboard" which can be found at:
www.jimischopp.com/cpshext/
......and I now think that your obituary for the context-menu based pathname copy programs is a bit premature.

If you don't have a context-menu based pathname copy program then the new 2xExplorer shortcuts ( Alt+C Alt+Shift+C ) are *very* useful additions to the program.

But once you have a context-menu based pathname copy program loaded,  I've found there's no going back because the level of convenience in capturing file path+name within ANY program using the right click context menu through their file open, save, save-as etc. dialogue boxes is just so hugely convenient - you don't have to go through 2xExplorer as an intermediary - and once you learn to use the right click menu to copy path names in other programs you just keep right on doing it in 2xExplorer because it's so easy and the reflex is there.  Why try to remember two different ways to do it?

I am now convinced that the only way that 2xExplorer will nail the 'context-menu based pathname copy programs' is to become one itself.  I reckon you should add this shell extension function to 2x and I'll happily unload the "Copy Path to Clipboard" program.

Nikos, have you tried using a program like "Copy Path to Clipboard" yourself for any extended period? I'd be surprised if you didn't notice the convenience of using its functionality across all programs if you did give it a trial.

Cheers, Philip
Philip Sutton
Australia
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:)

don't get me wrong, i didn't wish these context menu programmers any bad luck, i just put 2+2 together and figured that if people out there are just like me, nobody would bother with right-click & mouse moving when [Alt+C] is so much more convenient

what you say about other programs makes sense -- although i seldom use anything else than 2x myself!
h9903209

Post by h9903209 »

for Alt+C, I raise a suggestion before in email but seems you miss it, seems good telling here again.

Pressing Alt+C is obviously much convenient than right click then choose again. Right click already fills with so many commands which make it slow! e.g. winzip, winrar, antivirus, flashget, different media players!

So here is an enhancement for Alt+C:
Just press Alt+C then popup a window let us choose copy file name only or path+filename (you can default choosing this) or path+filename+size/date/etc

Hope you consider it. ^_^
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for filename only hit [F2] for a "fake" rename, [Ctrl+C] and [Esc]. I think I've mentioned this again(?) For date info on top use the "Print selection" command from Mark menu

if you want a popup menu after all, checkout Phillip's link :)
h9903209

Post by h9903209 »

oh, sorry, that's not what I mean...
Usually I need to copy names of multiple files. Sometimes need to copy names + size only.

For multiple files' names only, I cannot press F2...  (of course generate batch can do the job, but you know, takes more steps...)

For names+size only, print selection also cannot do it... T__T

In fact, the suggestion of a popup include option can replace both the print selection command and copy name command and is more convenient and integrated, do you think so?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i guess this could be added in the list of things to do