Disable filesize auto-update? - Question about features.

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Ios

Post by Ios »

I am in love with 2xExplorer, which is not a very difficult state to attain. :)

However, I have a really big problem. Some of my folders are huge, and when the filesize automatically updates on a file (such as the Downloads folder) the stopwatch icon appears every second or so and a delay in the program occurs as well. So anyway, it makes 2xExplorer completely impossible to use.

I went into all of the program's settings, as well as the registry settings, and basically killed anything that seemed to have to do with refreshing. It stopped everything but the file sizes. (I am using XP, if it is relevant.)

Is there a way to disable this feature? Whether through a hidden setting, resource editor, hex editor, or whatever works.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it is not possible to disable autorefresh, never mind a particular detail regarding file sizes

the "obvious" suggestion here is to either get out of the folder when the download starts or organize a little bit the folder so as to reduce the number of files.

by the way, the new generation xplorer² should be much more efficient in refreshes, so you can give it a try and see if the future looks bright :)

x2 alpha

Edited By nikos on May 22 2002 at 08:59
Ios

Post by Ios »

Thanks for the response.

*grins* Yeah, I was trying to avoid somebody telling me that, although apparently it was unavoidable that someone would drop the "kind suggestion". I shouldn't have procrastinated and let so many thousand files sit in one folder, really. However, I can procrastinate a little bit longer until the next version is released.. then I won't have to anymore because sorting files will be fun. :)

Also, I haven't checked out the alpha in detail, but from the sound of it, it's going to be something to really look forward to.

I could have sworn I noticed something you said on one of the other forums suggesting that maybe it would end up free-source so that everyone can work on the GUI. That would just make it the best thing since sliced bread. So.. was that a 'no' maybe, or a 'yes' maybe? :)

PS: Are you *sure* it couldn't be hexed out of there? :) I'd be fool enough to try it, just for the sheer fun of wasting time. ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the jury is still out for this one...
i'm not a great believer of open source;
even i have problems going through the code i have myself written, so how would other developers get a grasp of 1.3MB of code?

still, once i have the kernel working as I want to I may open up the GUI part of things, since I cannot be possibly @rsed with developing another docking window framework ;)
Ios

Post by Ios »

I usually am not a big believer in open-source, either. I mean, it has its purposes, but it certainly hasn't applied to me yet. However, I can't help but feel like 2xExplorer would be very much "at home" in such an arrangement.

Personally, I would be embarassed to release the source of *anything* I've done, since it would be a mess. If that is what the main concern is, then I'd have to say that you are worrying about nothing. :)

I bet you anything that people would be very willing to work on it, considering the following this has. Even as massive as it may be, I've found that there is very little that can't be done when computer nerds put their minds to something. Most likely the source would be cleaned up and fully documented in no time.

And, at the very least, yes I would *love* to work on the GUI. I am extremely meticulous about such things and feel my obsessive-compulsiveness would probably contribute greatly to it. *smiles stupidly*

I guess what I'm saying is that there would definitely be those who would want to put in the effort no matter what, and those would be the types who would contribute anyway. The only reason I can see not to is if you wish to maintain control of it, and I would respect that greatly for it is the main reason that I have never released source. However, by the feeling I got from what I read, this is not the case and you have nothing to worry about.

Okay, this was probably very opinionated, so I'm going to be quiet now. :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can't possibly imagine how sad 2xExplorer's code looks, especially within critical subsystems where 3 years of constant patches, workarounds and general development has created absolute chaos. It's not just aesthetics, it's affected the understand-ability of the code

anyway, 2xExplorer is not the issue. I am not going to develop that thing any more except for patches if it breaks in future releases of windows. The kernel sucks and does very little in terms of modern shell integration

xplorer² on the other hand is the dog's b@llox  ;) That's to be expected since it is current and no workarounds had to be inserted yet. That's the issue. Will I open it up or keep it to myself like a frustrated old hag?  :D
Ios

Post by Ios »

My fault! My fault. :)

When I downloaded the alpha version I noticed the filename was 'x2alpha', and so I believe I got the '2x' and the 'x2' associated with each other. I assumed that the new alpha was something more like "2xExplorer, the sequel".

And in a way, I guess it is. :) But not the same name, no.

At any rate, it was 4AM (I think?) when I wrote that and I screwed up a bit. :) Yes, I was talking about the new project the whole time. I agree that it wouldn't make much sense to free-source the old one, but instead to scrap it for the new as soon as possible.

I think we're in agreement here, and in fact probably were all along if it wasn't for my miscommunication. And, I don't think that there's anything else that I wanted to say. So, I will go back to sitting and waiting with much eagerness, just like everyone else is. :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

when the time is nigh, i'll pop the question and see how many people would be interested in such an open source endeavour and how can this whole thing be managed. But first I'll have to finish the core for which I want to maintain control anyway