History Items - Deleting History Items

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

FarCry

Post by FarCry »

Hi Nikos;

Under View > Options there is a section for History Items Maintained.

Does 2X save History Items?
Where are they saved?
Can you delete them?

Thanks, Wade
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you don't want history items then set this number in View | Options to 2. But the usability of the program will suffer

if you want to cleanup past history just edit the registry keys where 2x keeps its settings, after you quit the program. The main key is HKCU\Software\Zavarakatranemia Plc\2xExplorer
FarCry

Post by FarCry »

Don’t mind me Nikos.

I became security conscious after my computer was trashed by a virus in the form of an optical illusion from a joke site.

I’m wondering what the history items are.

If I click on a movie will 2X save the movie name somewhere?

Thanks, Wade
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Nikos,

This seems to be a "functionality vs. privacy" issue, especially on shared computers.
if you want to cleanup past history just edit the registry keys where 2x keeps its settings, after you quit the program. The main key is HKCU\Software\Zavarakatranemia Plc\2xExplorer.
Users with no experience on how to handle registry entries might find this task daunting.

Instead, why not provide a button (and/or a keyboard shortcut) to clean up the history, a la IE?

(In x2 if not in 2x) :)

I also tried to erase the history by entering zero in the view>options>General>History Items maintained setting, but it does not accept values<2. (A value of 2 still retains a tiny bit of history.)

If this limit is changed to 1 (for "Absolutely no history"), and if the user exits and restarts 2x, will he be able to "erase" the history from his registry? Or does that merely change the number of items that can be viewed?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if we forget about FBI/spyware conspiracy theory for a moment, histories are good for you. I have them set to the maximum allowed level of 50 items. That coupled with the autocompletion feature of all combo boxes saves you loads of time, avoiding the hassle of typing the same commands again and again. Even mouse people can benefit by clicking on the drop-down arrow

anyway, 2x's "history" is not that incriminating. It just holds a record of the folders you visited, what's wrong with that? It also maintains all the commands, filters, basically most of the things typed

if you launch something on the other hand (a document/movie etc) by double-clicking then this is saved in the windows "recent documents" list available from Start menu. You can clear that using standard windows procedures -- Start | Settings | Taskbar | advanced
If this limit is changed to 1 (for "Absolutely no history"), and if the user exits and restarts 2x, will he be able to "erase" the history from his registry? Or does that merely change the number of items that can be viewed?
even if you limit the count to the minimum 2, i don't think that the old items will be cleared, they'll remain in the registry till FBI (or mum) checks the registry and give you a rap  :)
FarCry

Post by FarCry »

[quote]
if you launch something on the other hand (a document/movie etc) by double-clicking then this is saved in the windows "recent documents" list available from Start menu. You can clear that using standard windows procedures -- Start | Settings | Taskbar | advanced
[quote]

Thanks, Nikos

This was my concern.
I was wondering if 2X was keeping a list of items that were launched.
The storing of visited folders is not a problem.