Sync Touch Questions

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

tbeehler

Sync Touch Questions

Post by tbeehler »

Hello,

I have about 250,000 files spread across thousands of folders, and the Sync Touch feature is exactly what I need for a small problem I am having.  My question is; is there a way to have Sync Touch work on folders and subdirectories all in one swoop?  Does the pro version have this feature?  Is there any other program that would have similar functionality?  I just want to sync the times and dates from one drive to another without touching the data itself, and 2xExplorer works perfectly except for this one problem.  I don't mind purchasing a program, but I need to know that it will work recursively.  Thank you in advance.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sync-touch both in the old 2x and in xplorer2 is not recursing into subfolders

i can conceive of a possible workaround involving the pro version's scrap containers and batch files in conjunction with a command line "touch" tool and some global text search & replace. Not totally convenient but much better than doing it by hand

* flatten the "source" folder structure in a scrap
* sort by path & select all
* generate a batch file with template

Code: Select all

touch $f $D
* don't run the batch, instead edit it and do a replace substituting the stem path of the source folder with that of the target folder
* execute this batch file

of course "touch" is a command you have to somehow find by googling, but there are many free ones around

if you don't understand what the above steps entail, you can examine the batch file contents before execution just to be reassured!
tbeehler

Post by tbeehler »

Thanks for the tip!  Do you think that such a feature would/could be implemented in the future?  I don't know if it's a logistical nightmare to program, but I could see it being useful to quite a few people.  Thank you very much again for all your help!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is rather exotic feature  :)