2x Explorer - Deleting Folders - Problems

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

_rainer_

Post by _rainer_ »

2xexplorer resists delition of folders.

When you click on a folder in any of the three the panes, 2xExplorer will not allow deleting it, with the excuse that some other user or application is using the folder.
Since there is no other application running, it must be  the pane that displays the contents of the folder that blocks the deletion.
This happens only with Win2000 and WinXP. It is not a fatal error but I find it bothersome.
M.S. Explorer of Win9x shows a behaviour related to this theme. It erases the folder but the contents stay in the other pane until the user ask for a refresh.
The M.S.Explorers of Win2000 and WinXP delete the folder and its contents (also in the display) without problems.
I wonder if the brilliant designer of 2xExplorer could fix this inconvenient feature.

???  ???
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you are viewing the contents of a folder in either pane, then it is "in use" and it's not available for deletion.

i suspect how explorer pulls it off, allowing a folder to be deleted whether visible or otherwise: after reading the contents it must be releasing all resources on it. I don't want to get too technical but by doing that partly explains why explorer can get so slow sometimes, doing things over and over again in case of refreshes.

The solution is simple: just go into the pane you want deleted, hit [Backspace] to go one level up (chances are that 2x will hilight the folder in question automatically) and delete from there -- there won't be any more quibbles   :)
_rainer_

Post by _rainer_ »

Niko,
I interprete your answer like this:
You are already thinking about ways how to make 2x explorer work (deleting-wise) like its less sofisticated M.S.cousin.
But right now you can't be bothered. :(
It seems to be a somewhat tricky business though. But then again, it would not be as difficult as asking the explorer to delete itself ! :)
That BACKSPACE fiddling works. but let's face it, just clicking on any item in any pane and press DEL would be simpler and more intuitive wouldn't it?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it's not that i can't be bothered, it's that i don't want to do it

if 2x dropped all its links to the folder after reading it that may have enabled its "live" deletion but it would have all sort of performance hits whenever you wanted to interact with that folder in a non-catastrophic manner  :) Dragging, copying, context menus all require access to folder internals.

so you see, i don't add this for your own good  ;)
_rainer_

Post by _rainer_ »

Excuses, excuses...
EsKiMo

Post by EsKiMo »

Yeesh, stop your whining! Nikos, don't listen to turds like this guy. He has no clue what he's talking about. I think we finally found a good reason for COPPA .. ;p
-EsKi
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it's ok

rainer is stretching a bit the customer support option he's "purchased" but I believe it's all in good spirit
:)
_rainer_

Post by _rainer_ »

Niko,

Well, I tried to convince you to bring your brainchild 2x Expl. closer to perfection.
I failed, and as you are saying, for the money I cannot ask for too much. But I really was thinking only of your own good! ;)
I do not know what causes eskimo to be so gross.
Perhaps our discussion, was beyond his limited polar horizon...
You could explain the problem to him, he after all came to your aid to defend you against the kids...or else he could just go and do it to himself (deleting, I mean )

Regards
_rainer_
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

case closed