File type is missing - 2x Explorer

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Nicholas440

Post by Nicholas440 »

Hello,

I downloaded 2x Explorer but I have a question since I am new to using 2xexplorer.   I like the layout of it,  but I need to be able to see a column  that shows the file type   ie,  .exe, .wav, .txt, .jpg, and so on. Is there a way I can get 2x Explorer to display the file type?    I choose viewing my folders with Details so I can see the name, size, date, etc,  but I cant see the file  TYPE .  Can someone help me with this or doesnt 2x Explorer support display file types..?

Thankyou,   Nick
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Hi,

that's one column Nikos left out intentionally (and rightfully so). You have to change the properties in the Windows-Explorers which hides "known" extensions. If this is switched off you can see the type perfectly in the filename and don't need the extra column.

BRX
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks BRX

complementing what you've said, specific instructions on how to enable the extensions of filenames on one's desktop are contained in FAQ# 13

xplorer² will have the options to show both the traditional file type column and a separate extension column for those who need these details
Nicholas440

Post by Nicholas440 »

Thankyou very much guy's  I really appreciate that tip on how to turn that feature on.  For me,  being able to see a file type column is a must because I work with a lot of audio,  .wav, and .mp3,  type files, and often I need to know which one is which because both will have the same file name only different extensions, and I have picked the wrong file several times with 2x Explorer, and wondered why I had no file type or extensions.  Thanks a million... I'll be keep my eye on the forum here for more developments in this very nice piece of software.  I would highly recommend people using it over the standard file explorer.     Thanks again..

Nick,