File Extensions - couple of questions

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

newuser

Post by newuser »

Two questions/problems with file extensions:

1. Some files file extensions do not get displayed. The file name is displayed but without a file extension. Two types that I have found are files with lnk or scf extensions. There may be others. If I do a find file for *.scf or *.lnk, the files are found so I assume you know the extension is there even though it is not displayed.

2. Detail view does not have a column for extension. I know it is redundant but it is easier to read sometimes.

Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

lnk extensions signify link (shortcut) files -- i've never heard of scf extension though

for some reason microsoft deems necessary to keep extensions hidden for link files. But you can tell by the little arrow overlay
newuser

Post by newuser »

scf file is a short cut file I think. My system has two, Show Desktop.scf & View Channels.scf.  I have another explorer replacement program which does show the scf and lnk. 2x explorer does find them with the find so I assume the extension could be shown.

Also, is it possible (and easy) to add an extension column? You allow a sort on it so I assume you have the info.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there is an extension column already in xplorer2, see the website for the alpha version