Free Space on Hard Drive Wrong - 2xExplorer free space displayed wrong

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

hschroed

Post by hschroed »

I am using 2xExplorer 1.4.1.10. under both WinXP and Win98. The free space display in the bottom right status bar of the main 2xExplorer window always show the free space of my d: drive the same as  my c: drive. The free space for c: and all other drives is correct, but the free space on d: is always the same as c:. I have used  other utilities to confirm that the free space on d: is wrong and not the same as c:
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

No such problems in Win NT4
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

strange

have you played with msFreeSpaceUpdateInterval mentioned in registry.txt?

but even if you had, when you tab from a C: to a D: pane the status bar should update the free space immediately

have you tried a folder data [Ctrl+D] on this D:\ ?
hschroed

Post by hschroed »

Haven't touched registry entry but suggestion to use Ctl-d resulted in the following observations.:
1. Reboot WinXp.
2. Start 2xExp. Right pane shows c: drive with correct free space.
3. Select d: in left pane; right pane shows d: drive with c: drive free space.
4. Perform Ctl-d. Data pane shows d: drive with correct free space.
5. Shut 2xExp.
6. Start 2xExp. Right pane shows d: drive with correct d: drive free space.
7. Select d: in left pane; right pane still shows d: drive but now shows c: drive free space.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there may be some confusion with the terminology here. The free space panel may be on the right, but it doesn't show the right pane's free space. Is that what you were saying?

let's try something simpler: have your left pane at c:\ and right at d:\. Click on the left pane to make it active; free space should be that of C. Then tab (or click) to make the right pane active; now free space should have changed and show that of D.

Any luck?
hschroed

Post by hschroed »

Yes. That was what I was saying. I tried your test and the free space changed from c: drive to d: drive as you described.
I am not sure what this means. Intuitively, I would have expected both segments of the status bar to reflect information for the same drive; especially since there is no indicator in the status bar segment which drive the info corresponds to.
Here is another way of looking at the problem (assume what your program calls a "One Pane" view with a tree pane and a left pane).
1. Select any drive in a left active pane. That pane should display a tree view of the drive.
2. Hit tab. (In the One pane view I'm not sure which pane is active at this point all I know is that the left pane header is no longer blue.)
2. Use the mouse cursor to select each of the drives in the tree pane. In each selection, as intuitively expected, both parts of the status bar reflect the information of the selected drive.
In my case, all the free space displays are correct.
4. Use the tab to make the left pane active.
5. Use the mouse cursor to again select each of the drives in the tree pane. Selecting the c:, e:, f:, g:, etc. drives, will give status bar information identical to step 3. That is, both segments show status information for the drive selected, both segments are in sync. But if I choose the d: drive, the left segment changes to display d: drive info while the right segment changes to display c: drive free space. This is not consistent. (This occurs regardless which drive is being displayed in the left pane.)
6. Use the tab to switch the active panel and then back again to the left pane and the free space for the d: drive is updated and shows the correct value.

It would appear, on my pc anyway, the only way to get the correct free space on the d: drive is to select the d: drive in the tree pane and then activate or reactivate the left pane using the tab function. Which is not consistent with the other drives where simply selecting them in the tree pane, shows the corresponding status bar segments in synch.
This suggests to me that your program is somehow treating the d: drive on my pc different from the others. I haven't mentioned this but my c: drive is NTFS and all the other drives are FAT32.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok, now i am confused!

let's get some agreed terminology down.
In the default setting, 2x has three panes, from left to right:

tree | Left pane | Right pane

only the 2 right most panes are usable for folders

out of these 2 content panes, only one is active at each time. That's the one which has the keyboard input, e.g. the selection changes while you hit the arrow keys. The visual cue is it's title bar which is drawn in "active window" colors. The inactive pane has a duller color bar and doesn't accept input

any of these 2 panes can be active, if you click on it or hit [Tab]

now the status bar is shared among the 2 panes and only shows information about the pane which is active at any given time. So whichever drive you have "active" that's the free space you see

i hope this clears matters up
hschroed

Post by hschroed »

Sorry for the confusion. All my comments refer to what your program calls "One Pane" view. That is, what I have been calling left pane, you call tree, and what I have been calling right pane, you call the left pane. Please review the test in my previous memo substituting the terminology. Just to make it easier, I will go back and edit the memo and correct the terminology.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

now we're talking!

the tree is not communicating with the status bar. When it has the focus, most commands are disabled, including the free space it seems. But if you hit ESC or tab back into the "right" pane, free space is updated immediately
hschroed

Post by hschroed »

Thanks for the workaround. But will you agree that, if the status bar free space is updated immediately by selecting any drive in the tree, the d: drive should not be an exception?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

in an ideal world perhaps  :)