Generate batch conversion - Unable to get it to work.

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Darren_f

Post by Darren_f »

I know nothing about DOS commands, so I may be using the wrong code sequence.
I tried to do something simple like number a selected group of files, this is the code I used in the template.
$01 then I hit create. I then hit execute. The DOS window read "Bad command or file name".

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Darren :turn:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

since you don't know about DOS commands, i wouldn't know where to start explaining!

best thing is to tell me exactly what you're trying to do and i'll give you the formula
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

on this topic, here's a nice list of dos commands you can use in batch files, published today @ shell extension city

once you digest this, then you're ready for the full winNT+ command arsenal which is 2-3 times as big  :)
Darren_f

Post by Darren_f »

Thanks for the reply,

All I want to do is rename a group of files, a new name and number them in the process.
I want the simple things in life. And thanks for the link to the DOS commands.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for rename you need first of all the ren command. If you type ren /? in a dos box you'll get quick instructions of use. Basically you need the source file and the name you want it renamed to.

within the batch creation framework in 2x, the source name is always going to be $N, substituted for each selected item. For the target it's you that decides. If you want a counter with 2 digits starting with 1 added to the name:

ren "$N" $01

but perhaps this is a bit daft since you lose all the extension etc info in the renamed file. But you can combine $01 with letters and other of the special $-tokens. For example $01.$E will give you a numbered file with the same extension as the original
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

Nikos, do you know where there is a referene for NT-DOS commands?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

here's the windows XP reference

there are tons of them!
Darren_f

Post by Darren_f »

Thanks for all of your help, every thing is now on track.