2xExplorer Help - Questions and answers

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

rgd

Post by rgd »

I'll start this off with a "help" question for other users.  I recently upgraded to the most recent version that Nik developed to improve compatibility with XP (even tho' I don't have XP on my office computer - I have '98). Since installlation I have been having numerous 2xExplorer crashes ("This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.  If the problem persists, (as it does) contact the program vendor" (which I'm doing now))
Past versions of 2xExplorer were extemely robust so this is novel misbehavior in my experience.  
Does this mean that Vs. 1.3.1.8 is backwardly incompatible and I should revert to Vx. 1.3.1.7, or do something else?
Anyone else experienced this phenomenon, or have any suggestions?
Many thanks,
rgd
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

1.3.1.7 is definately buggy so don't use it. Some silly mistake. The question is, would the older version R7x work properly in your win98? Well, I don't know, so here's a link for you to try: <a HREF="http://personal-pages.ps.ic.ac.uk/~umeca74/r7x.zip">R7x 1.2.1.7</a>

Still I don't believe this is going to solve any of your problems (but don't quote me :) ). It could be something else installed on your win98 system that disagrees with 2x. I run the new version on my home win98 with no problems.

When exactly does 2x crash? Is there a particular operation (e.g. viewing some special folder, or copying a file) that is guaranteed to crash the program? If I can't reproduce the bug I can't help you there...
rgd

Post by rgd »

Nik:
I use the bookmark folder you suggested to navigate to my different projects on our network - scattered around different drives on our server.  The crash usually (only!) happens when I double click on the shortcut to a folder on one of those network drives.
richard
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

do all such shortcuts cause a crash or is it only a few network links that cause trouble (if so what are these networks? --- unix etc).

If you try double-clicking the same troublesome shortcuts from windows explorer, do you get any error messages?