Manifest file?

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

N{}rL{}rD

Post by N{}rL{}rD »

Hello there....

I just noticed the 2xExplorer.exe.manifest file in 2xExplorer's installation zip file. I've noticed files of this type (program.exe.manifest) in other program directories as well...

When I first saw these files, I thought of something nasty... but when I open them I see XML code... what do these files exactly do and what are the manifestations introduced by them? :bigsmile:

Thanks...
If people knew to think, this world would be a better place to be...

http://www.purepad.com
Manitoba's Wild Kingdom

Post by Manitoba's Wild Kingdom »

The manifest files are for Windows XP, they introduce different XP styles into the program, like the menus, buttons etc. If you use any other version of Windows, then you definately will not notice anything different.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

no conspiracy whatsoever there ;)

as Manitoba said, it's something for windows XP. Some programs have this file embedded as a resource, but I thought I'd leave it separate so XP users could opt out and use the old visual styles. Anyway this is of no importance whatsoever in terms of functionality
rgd

Post by rgd »

I'm running XP.  Does loading 2xExplorer automatically load the manifiest file?  I notice that my Drive Icons remain flat whether I have the Option box for flat buttons checked or not. :shrug:
rgd
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if the manifest file is in the same directory as the executable, then yes, it will be loaded automatically

this is what happens in your case, since the new visual styles always make toolbars flat, regardless of the setting in View | Options

if you want to get back to the traditional look, just delete or rename the manifest file