some more suggestions

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

h9903209

Post by h9903209 »

Hihi, as a 2xexplorer lover, the followings are some more suggestions, to make this perfect program more perfect, hope you would like it and consider it.

1. For thumbbar, can you add a shortcut to open it, esc to close it? And can you make it has choice like view as original size, fit to windows, that is, add some basic functions to make it as an internal pic viewer, like your super fast txt viewer. After tasting your unbelivably super-high-open-speed txt viewer, I find using external viewer is really very slow. ^_^

2. for folder data, as an alternative of opening another window to view its size, can you make it view directly in the 2xexplorer window, using the size column? i.e. Just press Ctrl+D, then 2xexplorer would enter a mode such that 1. the system tree show all folder size and 2. the size column of main window would show all folders' size instead of the word "<folder>", and it would retain this mode even when I browse through other folders/subfolders, unless I press Ctrl+D again to switch back to normal mode. In this way we can 1. view the folder size of the whole drive instantly through showing size in system tree and 2. view the size of every folders and files "simultaneously" through the size column of main window, and just press size column and it would arrange by size (or even better just default Ctrl+D to arrange folder and file from size). ^_^

3. After searching file, we really want to move the files directly through drag and drop from that popup window to destination folder. Although we can do it by first copy files then delete, you know, once is ok, for those who need to do this frequently, we really desire this function to become more convenient. ^_^

4. Request again for more bookmarks shortcut key, This bookmarks shortcut key method to go to folder instanly is really really really so WONDERFUL!!! I think most users enjoy this feature very very much. Though you suggest a good method for unlimited bookmarks, I guess most 2xexplorer lovers want this program become more perfect and convenient (of course original is already super-convenient ^_^). e.g. use Alt+shift+no. instead of Ctrl+shift+no. so that we have 10 more shortcut bookmarks. ^_^

The above are just some rough ideas, I'm sure the author of 2xexplorer, you, can design it to be more creative and convenient. Hope you can consider it. I really love your pdt, 2xexplorer, so much. Thx again for your hard work and contribution about file explorer, it's really the best.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

we've already discussed about the thumbnail, no? :)
i don't think it will ever mature into the kind of viewer you want, since my image processing know-how is limited. If you upgrade to XP you'll have that kind of viewer gratis mikrosoft

what you recommend about folder data column makes sense but you lose the hierarchical information a tree would provide. I guess I can have it as a command to calculate total sizes & update the folder size column. That's going to be in xplorer2 most probably

the drag feature from find results is already available in xplorer2 and so will be more and better bookmarks

it will only require a bit of patience  :)
h9903209

Post by h9903209 »

Thx for your reply, expecting xplorer2 very much. ^_^

"you lose the hierarchical information a tree would provide"
I do not mean destroying the tree system, the whole tree hierachy retains as original, just adds file sizes beside the filename.

For your reference, just take a look of the middle screenshot of this software in this website. If you have time, you can download and try try. My idea of folder data comes from this useful software, or maybe more suitable, folder data of a whole drive. ^_^
http://www.jam-software.com/treesize.shtml