still Automatically re-sort contents after remove tick

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

barlew

still Automatically re-sort contents after remove tick

Post by barlew »

Hello

One of the reasons I've decided to give xplorer2 a go was the stupid way Win Se7en auto sorts files, a feature that cant be turned off.

I deal with lots of photos and when auto sorting is on renaming them is a nightmare as Win Se7en keeps shuffeling them about.

I have removed the tick from the option "Automatically re-sort contents after moving/copying etc" but when viewing files in Thumbnails the sorting still happens, very annoying.

Is this something I'm doing wrong or a bug?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you untick the automatic sort then new files won't be sorted but all files are automatically arranged anyway
barlew

Post by barlew »

thanks nikos.

Heres my scenario:

I had 4 files in 1 folder, all photos, viewing in Thumnail view size 180p.  As I rename them they are auto sorting into alphabetical order.  Is this what is supposed to happen when "Automatically re-sort contents after moving/copying etc" not ticked.

If this IS what is suppoded to happen, any change of a feature to stop auto sorting as files are renamed?  As this is the very reason I'm trying xplorer2.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

It is a logical conflict to expect that when files are arranged by name that when one renames a file that it should be expected to stay in place.  

While one can suspend auto-refresh [Ctrl+Alt+R] for changes of folder content (copies/additions/deletions/moves), x2 remains aware of renaming operations and moves the renamed items to the end of the list -- not what I think most folks expect. :o

The workaround I use when renaming items is to sort by date (or anything except by name) so the item(s) remain 'in place' ... and there's no need to suspend auto-refresh.  :)
barlew

Post by barlew »

Thanks fgagnon

This does not work in my case.  Just tried it.

Folder with 5 files fresh from my camera, so the all have names like img1001 etc.  View in details view and sorted by date taken, date modified and size.  Each time i then switched to Thumbnail view, renamed a picture and it was sorted.

This is actualy the issue I had with win 7.

So what you are saying fgagnon is that there is NO way of disabling the auto sort feature if your workaround didnt work?

Sound like a feature request comming?  Any chance of it, or is it impossible to impliment?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

hmmm, I wonder what's different.

I just double-checked, and it works for me:
details view, sort by date modified
switch to thumbnails

in a row of IMG_2186.jpg ... IMG_2189.jpg
rename IMG_2188.jpg to what_IMG_2188.jpg
what_IMG_2188.jpg stays between IMG_2187.jpg and IMG_2189.jpg

Do you still have Automatically resort ... unticked?
If so, you should tick it so renamed items remain sorted by date (or whatever) vs. being shuttled to the end of the list after rename action