Always looking for floppy!

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

floppy info

Post by zippit »

duggyfresh wrote:Hi, Dave.

The behaviour you are seeing might be 2xExplorer finding a shortcut to a program in a folder being browsed and following the shortcut to it's target to check the icon to be displayed. If the program is (or was) on a floppy in the drive Windows will grind the drive looking for the disc until the standard timeout for the task before returning a failure and letting the operation continue.

Windows Explorer should do exactly the same thing under the same circumstances!

There could also be an anti-virus program trying to scan the target file. That would increase the wait time, too! :idea:

Regards,
Duggy.
I repeat,2x will not grind about a floppy unless you shut down,with A active selected in a window.then remove the culprid,and restart.
You have to remember this,i do now.
:D
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can try experimenting with what duggy says, you'll have a conviction-shaking experience :) Put a program on a floppy, create a shortcut to it on some folder in c:\, then try reading c:\ and look what happens
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

floppy

Post by zippit »

nikos wrote:you can try experimenting with what duggy says, you'll have a conviction-shaking experience :) Put a program on a floppy, create a shortcut to it on some folder in c:\, then try reading c:\ and look what happens
Is the floppy in or out of the floppy drive ? when i do this ?
I still think this is totally unnecessary. :cry:
:?:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
Jaykul

Post by Jaykul »

As far as I know, any shortcut to a removeable drive will do this ...

I used to keep shortcuts to all my drives (eg: floppy, CDRW, DVD) on my desktop or in "my documents", but had to stop because starting a filemanager (or even file-->save dialogs in applications) would take longer while the (usually empty) drives were fruitlessly searched for appropriate icons.
--
::Jaykul
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Why Why Why

Post by zippit »

Can.t you establish this funtion on 1 !!! drive.
:roll:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Another experiment is to simply remove the floppy when one of the panes are showing drive A. X2 is simply disconsolate, pining away for that missing floppy.

Perhaps some of the messages come from the debugging portion.
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by zippit »

Jaykul wrote:As far as I know, any shortcut to a removeable drive will do this ...
Try this.I have a removeable drive too,i changed it to fixed disk.
It's allowed. :?
:D

I used to keep shortcuts to all my drives (eg: floppy, CDRW, DVD) on my desktop or in "my documents", but had to stop because starting a filemanager (or even file-->save dialogs in applications) would take longer while the (usually empty) drives were fruitlessly searched for appropriate icons.
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.