Always looking for floppy!

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

medic5608d

Always looking for floppy!

Post by medic5608d »

This only started happening recently, and I can't put my finger on the reason why, but here goes.
When I navigate to C:/My Documents, the program appears to be searching for the A: drive, as it tries to "spin" the drive, looking for a floppy.
Anyone have any idea what is going on?
Thanks,
Dave
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

is A:\ browsed in the inactive pane?
medic5608d

Looking for Floppy

Post by medic5608d »

No! That's the strange part.

I usually make it a habit to navigate to some other directory after I am done reading or writing to a floppy. But in this case, both panes are on the local hard drive. Yet, when I navigate to the C:\My Documnets folder, it sets off the search for a floppy in my A: drive.

Weird, no?

Dave
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

oui c'est vrai! :)
i have no clue whatsoever why this is happening...
medic5608d

Post by medic5608d »

I will try to record each time that this occurs with detail.

Then, I will get back with more info. :roll:
medic5608d

Post by medic5608d »

Now that I am home, and at my computer, I checked first Windows Explorer to see if it was launching, looking for the A: (floppy) drive. It was not. It was looking at the windows/startup directory.

After closing Windows Explorer, I launched 2xExplorer. By the way, I am running version Z1 "Omega", product build 1.4.1.8. It launched, as it has been for the last couple of weeks, looking for the floppy drive. By default, I have the program opening equal panes, and both of those were subdirectories on the C: drive.

Note: I recently re-installed my operartiong system (Windoes ME), but I don't really recall whether this problem started after that, or whether it was occuring prior to the re-install.

I think that re-installing the 2xExplorer program is the next logical step, but I'm not sure if the version that I am running is the most recent version?

DC
medic5608d

Post by medic5608d »

:D I may have found the problem!

I recently installed a password program that I believe is called "Pins". While I run this program from a floppy, I originally installed it on my hard drive. I found three files in the My Documents directory, all associated with the Pins program. When I moved them to a new location, all by themselves, and then navigated to that directory, the problem occured. I then moved them to the recycle bin. Upon trying to open the recyle bin (and not with 2xExplorer) the floppy drive went wild!

Needless to say, I eliminated those file and I no longer have the problem.

I did install build 12 of the 2xExplorer program, so I think I'm up-to-date.

DC :lol:
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

This might do it

Post by zippit »

Change your drive from A before you shutdown 2x and remove the floppy that it can't find.I made that mistake.
:lol:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
medic5608d

It wasn't the floppy!!

Post by medic5608d »

:P That would have been the logical thing, but anymore, only the strange things make sense.

As I had indicated on my previous post, I found the problem being three files that were in my C:/My Documents folder that were part of a program that now run from my floppy. Because they were there, and because they were "calling for" the floppy disk, is the reason that when ever I navigated to the C:/My Documents folder, it would start looking for the diskette in the A: drive.

I understand your reply, but that wasn't the case this time. Thanks though for responding.

DC
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

2003 not 1993

Post by zippit »

Copy floppys to your HD and use the files there.
:D
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
medic5608d

It's NOT the floppy!!!

Post by medic5608d »

Let me explain again. I didn't do a good job before.

There was a program that I installed that is BEST run from a floppy disk. However, when I first installed the program, I installed it to the hard drive. I later installed (copied) it on the floppy (that way I can carry my passwaord program with me and run it from any computer with a floppy drive.

Apparently, there were a few files that I had not removed from my hard drive. They were residing in the directory C:/My Documents.

When I would launch 2xExplorer and either navigate to that directory, or if the My Documents directory was active, the little password program that is supposed to be ON the floppy was being "called for" by one of the files in the My Documents directory. Thus, it would "spin up" the floppy drive, looking for the program. It is as if the file was a shortcut that was being launched automatically.

I hope it is clear now that I did not have a floppy in the floppy drive. And, I hadn't forgotten to navigate away from an empty floppy drive.

The ultimate solution to the problem that I first posted was to delete the three files that were present in the C:/My Documents directory. Once I did that, the problem was resolved. I even experimented some and before deleting the files, I moved them to a different directory. When I did that and then launched 2xExplorer and navigated to that directory, I would duplicate the problem.

Does that all make sense now?
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

No

Post by zippit »

Nothing is best run from a floppy.You seem to be like a dog chaising it's tail.You must learn this basic function.
By the way.What is this app,prg or exe called ?
:roll:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
medic5608d

Secure Password Manager

Post by medic5608d »

I will wait until you take a look at the details of the Secure Password Manager program, but I think you will see why I would want to run it from a floppy disk. Here's all of the info:

PINs, Secure Password Manager (freeware) version 4.50.0.86

http://www.mirekw.com/

Forum: http://www.mirekw.com/forum.html

email: info@mirekw.com

He states that PINs is open source. The full source code and Beta versions are available from: http://groups.yahoo/com/group/PINs news

Dave
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

I see your point

Post by zippit »

I have been asked for info from a floppy or elsewhere.
Maybe you have a real need for this as i don't.I have nothing to hide.
Stan in Mississauga,Ont Canada
:D
p.s.The day i do i will quit the Internet. :cry:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
duggyfresh

Post by duggyfresh »

Hi, Dave.

The behaviour you are seeing might be 2xExplorer finding a shortcut to a program in a folder being browsed and following the shortcut to it's target to check the icon to be displayed. If the program is (or was) on a floppy in the drive Windows will grind the drive looking for the disc until the standard timeout for the task before returning a failure and letting the operation continue.

Windows Explorer should do exactly the same thing under the same circumstances!

There could also be an anti-virus program trying to scan the target file. That would increase the wait time, too! :idea:

Regards,
Duggy.