2x Searching for equal files - How to do it?

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

grillo

2x Searching for equal files - How to do it?

Post by grillo »

Hi!

I have a mess in my pc and I was trying to find a way to make 2x look for all files with the same name, without nowing what it might be, nor in which directory they are. Does anybody know how to do that?
Taking it further, Is there a way to use the sync on content comand to look for identical files with different names ?

Thanks a lot! Adios
grillo

Post by grillo »

Just another question. Can you delete the hard links without deleting the actual file?

Thanks again
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: 2x Searching for equal files - How to do it?

Post by zippit »

grillo wrote:Hi!

I have a mess in my pc and I was trying to find a way to make 2x look for all files with the same name, without nowing what it might be, nor in which directory they are. Does anybody know how to do that?
Taking it further, Is there a way to use the sync on content comand to look for identical files with different names ?

Thanks a lot! Adios
This can be done with Windows Search.Set the drive and type *.*
then sort a to z.
:D
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
duggyfresh

Post by duggyfresh »

AFAIK, 2XExplorer does not do this across a whole drive. There are several utilities that do this though. I used to use a free one called Dupeless. Try a search on Tucows or Simtel...

Regards,
Duggy.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

nice idea zippit, that will show up all duplicate names
a similar idea for xplorer2 is to open a scrap frame and use the "flatten path" command for the root c:\ (or the complete desktop).
this will take some time to execute but it will reveal all similarities

the new "checksum" column will reveal content similarities when names differ. The down side is that calculating checksums for all your files is definitely going to take ages

so all in all, a tailor made duplicates detection program may be more helpful

wrt hard links, deleting the extra links has no affect on the original file. In fact you can delete the original too -- as long as there is at least one hard link to it present it will be preserved
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Links

Post by zippit »

grillo wrote:Just another question. Can you delete the hard links without deleting the actual file?

Thanks again
Yes i was worried about this at one time.If it's on the start menu/programs you can delete it,For example,you install a game and all you really need is the file to play it,no uninstall,web site.how to's etc. links.
2xExplorer makes this easy in 2 pane,not the taskbar option.
:D
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.