x2 - why catch the first click when switching panes?

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

mario

x2 - why catch the first click when switching panes?

Post by mario »

I think it's useless, and feels just like it's broken... I've been using 2x for years and got used to having the selection on the other pane just go away when I left-click the pane... if I want to browse a directory (on the other pane) by double-clicking it and another directory is selected, the selected one is opened! even if it's NOT the one I double-clicked!! the same thing happens when there's a file selected... it's launched, instead of the one i double-clicked...

if I want to switch panes without losing the selection I just middle-click the other pane! it's always worked! I don't know why you had to break things by inserting that catch-first-left-click-and-ignore-it... please provide us a reg setting to turn it off.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

x2 doesn't have a titlebar for each pane so mouse users cannot change panes without affecting the selection -- that's why the first click is eaten

and it is not eaten all the time mind, only if there is a prior selection of more than one, otherwise it behaves like 2x. Something one can get used to i suppose -- i have! :)
mario

Post by mario »

...mouse users cannot change panes without affecting the selection...

sorry but I can't agree with you on that. haven't you ever noticed you can change panes without affect the selection by middle-clicking the new pane? I've been doing that with 2x for years.

I've been really trying to use x2, but because of this eating clicks thing and because of the lack of more bookmarks it's not time to leave 2x yet.

anyway, it's your software, and you make it available for free, and all we have to say is thank you!
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Try single-click activation mode.

When you take your mouse pointer over any pane, it is automatically selected. You can launch the item by simply pointing at it and a single click. No clicks are eaten this way, and you even save one click when launching items.

If you want to retain your prior selection intact, click in any column other than "name" or the blank area below the list.
mario

Post by mario »

thanks for the tip narayan, but I dislike single click activation because it destroys your selection once you hover the pointer over it (it automatically selects the single item under the mouse cursor).

and the view I use the most is list, only switching to details when needed.

I was just asking for a registry setting to turn off the eat-first-click thing, because I know I can switch panes with the mouse without loosing the selection by choosing the pane with the middle mouse button.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

well since this is such a controversial issue, i suppose a registry tweak is ok
mario

Post by mario »

after some months I've decided to give x2 another try.

has the reg key to disable the eat-first-click-thing been implemented? you could always switch panes with the middle mouse button without losing the selection.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sorted: just search alpha.txt for GIOPT_NOEATCLICKS