Always asking for portable media drive

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Claymore1746

Always asking for portable media drive

Post by Claymore1746 »

It seems that if I ever use removable media that creates a drive letter (as in USB drives, memory sticks, etc.) every time thereafter the program warns me that this (temporary) drive is not present, and I have to click OK to access the program. On my system I get this same window twice. Maybe this is the same as those users who have inserted a floppy in the A: drive and get a similar notice.
Any way out of this annoyance?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the double warning is a side-effect of the debug version
in the final release you'd only get the warning once
however i can't see how you can avoid it altogether
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

I don't see why it couldn't be avoided. Regards to developpement or the behaviour it shoud have ?

If it is the second, we could have a bool registry tweak 'no-message-for-that-missing-drive' and then it would go to desktop or any default directory we may specify.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for most of these messages windows is responsible
i can't control them
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

ok

I was afraid the problem was at that level...

But for removable media, isnt it possible to check whether the drive is ready before trying to access its contents ? Maybe it would slow every access, so this would be done only for media known to be removed.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is already checked in a number of situations but its too much of a hassle and drag for non-removable processing to expand it to more places

i suppose it's up to the user to make sure that a removable bay isn't empty -- or "pay the price" which is not too much anyway