File associations won't work

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Mark51

File associations won't work

Post by Mark51 »

Two problems/questions, on a Win XP SP3:

1. Why can I Not set file associations as I want them?
I like Notepad++ to open .TXT files.  
Neither Explorer nor 2xExplorer does that.
When I right-click > Open with > Choose program,
Notepad++ is not even shown as an available option.
In Control Panes > File options > File types, TXT files shows "Notepad++ Document".
In Explorer, TXT files are listed under Type as "Notepad++ Document".
What's up?

2. When I Delete even one small file or even an empty directory,
Why does it sometimes take 30 seconds to do that?

Thanks.

Mark51
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

#1 check your TXT associations from control panel > Folder options > File types. THis notepad++ may also have an option to take over txt associations

#2 if your recycle bin has a lot of items right click on its icon and pick EMPTY from the menu
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: File associations won't work

Post by Kilmatead »

Mark51 wrote:When I right-click > Open with > Choose program, Notepad++ is not even shown as an available option.
In circumstances where a programme doesn't show up in that list, this small utility (no installation required) can fix it.  You also might look into simply replacing the default editor with Notepad++ by using this.  Simplifies everything.
Mark51

Post by Mark51 »

Thanks for the replies, people.

Nikos: My original post (with a few spelling errors...  I blame the beer.)
indicated the Ctl Panel > Folder options > File type..  is already set.
Recycle bin has only 3 small items in it.  I left 'em there.

Kilmatead: I tried the OpenWithAdd pgm: it ended with:
"An error occurred... -2147023875"
Regardless, Notepad++ now IS available as an option.
Cool.  Thanks.

The only slight problem now is...
The Notepad++ icon doesn't appear next to TXT files.
Have ya' got a solution to That ?

Thanks very much, people.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

As you're still on XP, doesn't the file-associations window allow you to just set the icons for filetypes yourself?  Just point the .txt one at NotePad++ (even though it's got the dumbest icon known to iguanas everywhere). :shrug:
Mark51

Post by Mark51 »

In Ctl panel > Folder options > File types,
the TXT files are opened with Notepad++,
AND the icon is correct there.
(What's wrong with that cute little Pad n Pencil?)    :?

THIS seems weird...
In Explorer, the icon shows correctly.
In 2xExplorer, it doesn't.  
What's up?

Thanks.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Mark51 wrote:What's wrong with that cute little Pad n Pencil?
Iguanas are not cute - they're weird little beasties that put the evil-eye on everyone who comes near them.  Or at least, that's how all the ones I'ver ever met have acted. :shrug:
Mark51 wrote:In Explorer, the icon shows correctly.  In 2xExplorer, it doesn't.
I have no explanation - though, you aren't actually using 2xExplorer, right?  I assume you're using x2 (version 2.0)?  (2xExplorer is still available, but it's older than the hills.  And if you are using the original, good on ye, for there be dragons.)

Sounds silly, but either restarting x2 cold might read the icons correctly, or a restart of your machine.  Generally x2 always displays the same icons as Windows explorer, when it comes to file associations.
Mark51

Post by Mark51 »

What iguana?  Are you thinking of CorelDraw?
The Notepad++ icon shows a pad of paper and a pencil.

Using 2xExplorer; the "About" says:
Version Z1 "Omega"
CopyRight / Left 1999 - 2002
Product Build: 1.4.1.12

It appears to be by Nick Bozinis at netez.com

THAT's an antique?  Well...  OK...  So am I.    :)
Is there serious Bad stuff in there?  
But...  I Like that pgm !

I've restarted the laptop...  no change.

Thanks very much for the conversation, Kilmatead.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I'm impressed - but, just for laughs, you might want to check here for a "slightly" newer version. :wink:  There is a free "lite" version as well, if you are so inclined.  (And no, there's nothing "bad" in the original 2X - though it probably can't be guaranteed to work perfectly under SP3 - if you like it, hey, who am I to argue?  But... well... you know, it's good to move on... meet new people... go out on a few dates... try and stay away from the ones with hungry eyes... the "scene" just isn't the same as it used to be... always carry a knife, pepper-spray... and so on.)

I get the idea you don't update software too often... the latest version of Notepad++ looks like this...

...and the icon did not prove too popular with the userbase.  But, as they say, there's someone for everyone... including iguanas, I guess...
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I like iguanas. The way that reptile looks reminds me of some forum users here. Anyway, N++'s author decided to let all users choose if they want to install it with the new or the old icon, so even new versions don't have to have it.
(That said, I'm off of N++.)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:N++'s author decided to let all users choose if they want to install it with the new or the old icon, so even new versions don't have to have it.
True, but then they started releasing the minimalist packages which have no installers (or plugins, or anything else), and unfortunately the default icon is the above; I started changing it manually each time but the iguana seemed to sense this and released a new version the next day just to spite me (iguanas are notoriously good at that).  After awhile I just learned to let my eyes defocus and enjoy the world in a nice soft light, so as far as I'm concerned, its current icon is nothing but a green smudge on the taskbar.  I like a little smudginess in my life from time to time (it allows me to ignore the flies stuck to my toast and the spiders who sleep in my coffee-mug overnight).  :shrug:
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

We advanced users tend to write batch scripts for that, automagically replacing the icons by just a double-click.  8)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:We advanced users tend to write batch scripts for that...
I don't know how to do scripts that only do one thing.  Mine need to make coffee, start the washing machine, climb Mt. Everest and change the baby's nappies all before the 11 o'clock cigarette break.  Then the script needs to go to the shops to get more cigarettes (which means designing a GUI for a few checkboxes about optional milk and cookies), and so on.  Designing all those little up/down control thingies for quantity-counts always drives me nuts.

I always get carried away with... adding stuff.  :roll:

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

There's your problem: You missed the "Apply" button.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Nah, you see that's only the setup options screen - the script is actually auto-run from the windows Task Manager with variable command-line options which change depending on the weather conditions or the colour of the girl's hair and the size of her bongo drums.

I decided that one simple interface just wasnt enough for all situations - what if the police don't see me?  No reason to run.  What if the girl's father had forgotten his shotgun that day?  Again, no reason to run.  What if the homeless guy won the lottery the day before and (for once) actually offered me a bottle of beer?

A good coder must adapt to the chaotic nature of his environment.