How do I duplicate only files that have been changed?

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

wpwelty

How do I duplicate only files that have been changed?

Post by wpwelty »

I recently made a backup copy of my "My Documents" folder onto a different hard drive. How may I use 2x to copy only the files that have changed in the "My Documents" folder since the last time I backed up? After I made the first copy of the file folder "My Documents," I set the attributes of all of the files in the original "My Documents" folder to -A and did the same to all of the files in my backup copy of the "My Documents" folder. Now all I want to do from now on is to copy the changed files (that is, the files in "My Documents" that now have +A attributes). It seems to be that this ought to be really easy to do, so I must be missing something pretty obvious, right?

Regards,
William
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

actually the Archive bit works in reverse: Backup programs clear it and programs that change the file set it, so all the files with 'A' are flagged for the next backup

at any rate 2x cannot help you for archiving since it can't do deep synchronization, neither it can select on attribute filters

the new xplorer2 can check synchronization of subfolders (in a dual scrap frame) so that's a possibility: flatten the 2 document folders and hit F9. For the present it can't select on attributes either, but you don't need the feature

but frankly, if backup is what you're after you may be better off using a purpose built archiving program
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

?

Post by zippit »

Do you mean adding the newer ones that arrive later ?
This can be done with equal panes and copying over the newer ones or plunk them all in and say no to the overwrites.
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.