File icon leftmost- unaffected by column order

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

kikinger

File icon leftmost- unaffected by column order

Post by kikinger »

It seems x2 is coming along very nicely. :D Thanks for your excellent contributions.

I have a question which I hope is not redundant, and which I have not been able to find discussion concerning by searching the forum or the documentation. If this matter has already been covered, I will be suitably embarrased!

In x2, viewing a pane in 'details' mode, after performing 'select columns' and changing column order, the file icon seems always to incorporate itself into the left part of the leftmost column. If the filename is not the leftmost column, then the icon and the filename become separated.

:?: I was wondering if there was a tweak to keep the icon to the left of the filename? (and if not, then might this be possible in a future update?)

By the way,
I especially appreciate 2x/x2's resistance to the uncommon but dreaded "file in use" explorer bug in xp (briefly mentioned on this forum in a message concerning 'unable to delete file'.) This is where you try to modify a file but get the message that it is in use by another process so try again later, even when you know nothing is accessing that file. The file may remain inexplicably locked through many reboots, along with the folders on its directory tree. The recommended solution is to open up a dos box and do your operation from the command line instead of through explorer. In cases where this method works however, 2x/x2 also works and is of course much more convenient. Thank you!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i was pondering about this issue when i did the columns
basically you shouldn't have the name anywhere but the first column, although x2 won't complain even if you do. But you'll find that things like in-place rename no longer work. Do you see any advantage at all having the name somewhere else?