Incorrect free disk space in 2x

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

sega

Incorrect free disk space in 2x

Post by sega »

I have a 76GB Hard Drive but if I make a foldername with two full stops/periods & enter that folder it says that I have 1.999GB free

I'm using 2xExplorer Z1 version 1.4.1.12
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Just a guess

Post by zippit »

Have you did a scandisk lately.It fixes these things.How much does Explore give you ?
Please type the exact name of the folder so i can try it.
:D
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
sega

Post by sega »

I've run Scandisk many times but I don't think that is the problem

try naming a folder called test.1.2 and enter it
it should produce the same error

this always happens when you try to use 2 or more full stops/periods in the folder name
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

sega, I just tried it and the error didn't occur for me. Have you tried using another file manager to confirm whether or not the error is with 2x or not?
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Scandisk results

Post by zippit »

sega wrote:I've run Scandisk many times but I don't think that is the problem

this always happens when you try to use 2 or more full stops/periods in the folder name
===========
ScanDisk found 22020096 bytes of data in 1 lost file fragment(s).
Resolution: Convert the lost file fragment(s) into file(s)
Results: Error was corrected as specified above.

The drive contained an error in its FSInfoSector.
Resolution: Repair the error
Results: Error was corrected as specified above.
===========
This is a Space remaing result."File System info"
:roll:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i can't reproduce that either
but i remember in win98 you can get wacky situations like old-style filesystems right in the middle of the hierarchy (!) , like everything is fine till c:\mydocs\C++ and underneath that the free space would get 1.99GB or something, which is the maximum for some old filesystems (i think that was the plain FAT). Not sure why or how to resolve!
sega

Post by sega »

Hmm thats odd maybe this bug only happens in Win98/Fat32 ?

mimeryme, I just installed Total Commander v5.51 and this bug doesn't happen so there must be something wrong with 2x
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

oops!
you just said the T-word :shock:
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

well i wouldn't assume from that evidence that 2x is at fault. in fact based on personal experience, my first, second and third assumptions would be that the fault lies with windows 98!

if u r serious about file managing then u should get serious about ur operating system and ditch win98 for 2k or xp
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by zippit »

sega wrote:I've run Scandisk many times but I don't think that is the problem

I have Wme and nameing a folder test.1.2 was ok.What is an actual name not a test that caused this ? If Windows allowed it than it shouldn't affect disk space.How did you get the proper disk space reading back ?
:?: :?: :?:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
sega

Post by sega »

ok now this is really odd... I just tested it again on my 76GB HD & now the bug doesn't show up anymore, it gives the correct free disk space on any folder I enter with 2 or more full stops but for some reason it still happens on my other HD that I have connected to my computer :?

zippit, to get the proper disk space reading back all I had to do was to come out of the folder.

kev, maybe win98 is to blame I don't know, I was thinking of upgrading to XP but after the W32.Blaster.Worm virus began I decided to stay with 98 for a little bit longer :)
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Me too

Post by zippit »

I've had that too.The best test is with all folders closed,or C drive info.
But remember that Scandisk fixed this many times for me.Windows 98 and Wme.Stick with 98 or use XP and 98,it can be done.
:D
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

i honestly think u would really appreciate the vast improvements in xp, or even 2k, over 98, and the blaster worm should not discourage u! the fact that u even noticed this problem with disk space means u r more into what's going on with ur computer than the average punter. microsoft released a patch for the vulnerability that blaster exploits a full month before it hit the headlines, plus both xp and 2k have an automatic update facility which downloads the patches automatically. xp even has a firewall that stops blaster, but most people either don't know how to turn it on or don't care!

when i had 98 a couple of years back i put off upgrading to 2k on the basis of some "advice" i was given, but in retrospect i should have gone for it asap. the underlying nt kernel blows 9x away utterly and i have never looked back
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

NT Fat

Post by zippit »

Thanks for the input.
I have read of many problems with this especially gamers and especially folks with older games and XP headaches.Most of my contacts would rather have their games working.Mr Gates seems to think a 1993 Dos game is useless. :roll: I don't.
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

There's always double-booting. :)