Single Window and Command Line - xplorer2

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

raz0

Single Window and Command Line - xplorer2

Post by raz0 »

I've been using a set-up like the one in Geoshell Wiki with Total Commander for some time. It worked great, but I don't really like total commander, so it bugs me that this doesn't work very well with xplorer2. If I type certain folder names in "Run" xplorer2 start but has an error. This is probably caused by backslashes.

Also in Total Commander there was an option to enable 'Single Instance' mode which prevented Total Commander from starting more than once. I know xplorer2 only uses one instance no matter how many windows you open, but it would certainly be nice (especially with my setup) if there was an option to only allow one xplorer2 window to open. Then if xplorer2 was already running, the folder could be opened in the left pane.

Anyway, thank you for a great file manager. If you can fix these to things too, I would be very thankful.

//raz0 :D
/raz0
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

raz0, the way you're setup, the errors are likely to be caused by the lack of a DDE Server. (Actually, I'm assuming that the error you get is one and the same error that you would get had you not changed the registry for folders to be opened up by x2. So, explorer would have shown you an error despite starting anyway.)

A work around to having a DDE server (well, for this case anyway) is to make a keyword shortcut in the registry pointing to xplorer². I have mine setup using 'x2,' so if I want to open a folder I can type "x2 c:\windows." (winguides.com guide to program aliases.)

You can also select to run litestep with the DDE server plugin as the only thing loaded instead.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:shock:
what's the error message?
raz0

Post by raz0 »

It's not the lack of a DDE server. Geoshell has a built-in DDE server.
The error does only occur when typing for instance "D:" in the Run dialog. That is without a backslash ;)

The error looks like this:

Code: Select all

Debug Assertion Failed!
... yada yada...
Expression: ppstrArgv[i]->Compare(__argv[i])==0
Anyway, the most important thing for me is the single-window mode ;p
/raz0
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

although i cannot reproduce this "error" it really isn't an error
just click on Ignore button and continue

unfortunately, singe window mode is not on the cards
if you want to start separate processes use /P in the command line
raz0

Post by raz0 »

Nevermind, I fixed it by removing the double quotes in shell\command.
I think you misunderstood me. I don't want to start a seperate process. What I want is for xplorer2 to never open than more window. Without knowing much about programming I don't think it will be too hard to add. That is if I'm not mistaking. You are the expert here hehe ;) "Just" a check to see if an instance of xplorer2 is running, if so open in the current process, else open a new process. I would be really thankful if you could make this, but I won't whine more if you decide not to hehe :D
/raz0
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i'm with you and was all the time!
i just recommended an alternative since what you want isn't on the cards
raz0

Post by raz0 »

Problem is, I know no other file manger that has such speed and low system resource usage as xplorer2 and at the same time has this feature. *sigh* Guess I'll have to live with crappy explorer.
/raz0
raz0

Post by raz0 »

Sorry for asking again if you feel this falls in the same catagory as my previous questions, but is there any chance that you could make a command line switch to open the folder in the current windows?

For instance 'xplorer2.exe -p c:\winnt\' would open the folder c:\winnt\ in the current xplorer2 window.

Right now I'm using Servant Salamander 2.0 trail. It's just so bloated.
/raz0
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

Read the Alpha.txt file. It give some command line options for version 0.0.0.21. One of which is start up folders.
Vas
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this would be easy if it was anticipated during the framework design stages. Now it is rather hard to add. I'll add it in the list but it looks like you'll be using "other" programs for a while yet ;)
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

raz0, it seems to me you have another alternative, which is very easy to use and gives you the 'single window' mode you are searching for.

I keep X2 open all the time because - let's face it- you can't do without!! :lol:

If you want to open a folder, let's say C:\Winnt, then just type it in the address bar and hit enter. The folder will open in the pane you had active without opening another X2 window. No need for other commanders and such! Simple, no?? :wink:
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
raz0

Post by raz0 »

Ah, I understand nikos. I will just wait and see. :wink:

JRz> It's just that I usually use the command-line bar I have to open drives and folders. It's hard getting used to doing it from xplorer2. :)
/raz0