larger split sizes

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pila
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

larger split sizes

Post by pila »

I do not see any particular reason to limit split size to 1265 kB. I do not even have a diskette drive :)

Why not offer some presets like diskette size, and CD size and enable user to anter any reasonable number, somewhere in GB range. It would be nice to be able to select from a drop-down if I wish to enter kB, MB or GB for split sizes next to the size box.

I sometime need to cut something to 700 MB size to fit it on CD.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:?:
you can set any split size you wish, up to the size of the selected file
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I think pila meant this:

1. A pull down list that gives all pre-defined sizes (derived from "standard" drive sizes)
>>That is in addition to the currently available "enter any size" box.

2. Instead of defining the size only in KB, user should be able to define in MB. This probably will avoid the tedium of coverting the units with the "1024" factor.

My personal view is that this facility will be used for floppies in 99.9% of the time.

Although on paper the concept can be streched for splitting a folder between hard drives, partitions, CDs etc., this will not be done because each split part is not usable directly.

For example, it does not make sense to have a CD that can't be used in a "stand-alone" mode.

In such cases, it would be better to split the load folder-wise, by using something like "Burn To The Brim" (BTTB). In that case, each CD is readable independently.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok but that's another issue
i think pila had a problem changing the cut size
pila
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pila »

For some reason, I missed it. Probaly had selected wrong file as you suggested. It works. My apologies, my mistake :)