A synchronization problem

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

roddy003

A synchronization problem

Post by roddy003 »

To sync files between my work and home computers I use a little flash memory card of 256 mb (which I really like :D ). The "My Documents" folder, however, contains many more Mbs that can be squeezed on that card. So the full synchronization (F9) is not real. I use the sequence of commands suggested by mimeryme (Thanks!) a few days earlier:
1. Browse flat the folder structure you need
2. Sort by date and copy the latest changes
3. Paste special --> structured scrap clips.

If you add a folder it is inserted as well. The problem is how to trace those folders and files that you delete. Unfortunately the “recycle bin” cannot be used in the same way (at least I could not find how). I would appreciate any ideas on synchronization problem in general and how to deal with the deleted files/folders in particular.
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Cd writers.

Post by zippit »

If you have a cd-rw burner,a cd-rw disk is used like a floppy only holds a lot more and can be formated and reused.Nero calls it incd.Take over 500 mb to work. :D
Too big for a shirt pocket but will fit a womens purse easy. :D
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

nice one zippit :D

coming to the sync issue i can't see any more things you can do with x2 to detect deleted files. You could save a flattened scrap pane and when you re-load it it will tell you which files were gone, but it is cumbersome since the missing files are just output in the DBmon window

perhaps you need a briefcase like program with compression capabilities like the one narayan found the other day

if you are on XP and have access to zipfolders then zipping the whole hierarchy may also be an option since x2 can compare a zip and real folders. But again you'll have problems with deleted files
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I had actually sent the link to Nikos in a PM; but here it is:

http://www.rekenwonder.com/brfcplus.htm