2xExplorer and folder icons

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

axl

2xExplorer and folder icons

Post by axl »

Hi,

Here is my problem and I hope someone here can help me out.

I want to change the icons of all my folders.

It seems pretty simple and a lot of programs do exactly that, but for some weird reason, I can never see my customized icons in 2xExplorer.

For instance, E-Icons lets one change the icon for a closed and open folder, and you can see these if you use Windows Explorer but not with 2xExplorer.

I've also tried to manually change the "DefaultIcon" setting under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder, but to no avail.

I don't want a scenario where I need a "desktop.ini" file inside every single folder whose icon I want to change. To me, that doesn't seem like a solution, but rather an inefficient hack.

My set up is as follows:

Win2k+SP3
E-Icons 4.15
2xExplorer 1.4.1.12

Can someone please shed some light on this issue?

Thanks,
axl
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

well

Post by zippit »

The folder icons are controlled by the Windows options and will probably be the same in 2x.Why is this so important ?
I use view as list,thats why 2x is better.
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there has been a previous discussion about that, please use the "search" feature to locate it

there are a number of programs that don't change the icons to 2x's liking. I'm not sure if E-icons was in the list but from what you say it surely sounds fishy

are there other file managers (except explorer) that see the modified icons?
Darren

Post by Darren »

I was involved in a previous thread on this topic, but I don't think there was ever a solution.
The problem is with 2xEplorer not picking up 'system default' folder icons (for want of a better desciption). Individual folders that have their icons changed (via a desktop.ini file) display correctly with 2xEplorer. However when using a program such as E-Icons to change the entire computer's default icons, they don't display in 2xEplorer on Windows XP (they did in 98). Windows Explorer will display them, but 2xExplorer always shows the original folder icons.
In answer to your question Nikos, Turbo Navigator http://www.turbonavigator.com/ displays the modified folder icons in Windows XP fine.
There is one anomaly I've discovered. While Windows Explorer will display the modified folder icons, they are not displayed in 'dialogue' boxes. (I don't know if this is the correct term, but I'm talking about the mini explorer windows that open when you want to attach a file to an email, or save a downloaded file etc.)
Darren
Vinn

Post by Vinn »

nikos wrote:
are there other file managers (except explorer) that see the modified icons?
Hey Nikos,

Explor2000 also shows the modified folders in XP .You are also able to
designate custom folder applications as the default referance.
http://www.cmaufroy.com/.

I know this is not a " biggie " in the grander scheme of things in regards to the functionality of the application, but it does help with the asthetics for those of us that have that paticular fetish :-)

If you could find a way to actually sort the issue without it being too much a brainer, It would the final touch to an already awesome app.

Cheers

Vinn