3 items I would like to see

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Nick44

3 items I would like to see

Post by Nick44 »

Hi,

I like the new explorer alpha, its got a great look to it and so far works well. However, what I would like to see is a drive letter toolbar as you have in 2x Explorer, and an icon for creating a new folder, those are the two important ones for me, dont know if you plan on implementing them or not. I also think that many people who are new to using any type of file manager should be able to see the file type or extension. I know you can turn that on in Windows explorer, but most file managers have the file extension visible by default, and for those that are inexperienced if you try to explain to them how to navigate to a specific file, then execute it they are lost because .exe or .dll, or .txt does not register to them.
I just think file extensions are a must have, even for those who use files and file managers daily like me. :o) ...would be great to have an options window or preferrences to turn that on as well as drive bar and new folder icon.. Keep up the good work it looks great.

Thanks in advance, Nick
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Hi Nick.

There is a lot of resistance to the idea of a drive bar. To myself and some others it just seems like clutter, especially when you can just press CTRL+SHIFT+<drive letter> to go directly to that drive.

As for creating a new folder, you can just press F8. Or, if you really want to use the mouse, just right-click on the file pane when looking at the correct directory, and select "New Folder" from the menu.

I can't remember what registry x2 uses its for showing file extensions or not. It is certainly possible, as I see them always. If you use detailed view, you could even have a column dedicated to the extensions, if you like; just right-click on any of the column headers, and use the Select Columns dialog to add it... :)
It is my job to comfort the disturbed,
and to disturb the comfortable.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Or use the ALT+K dialog box to add and arrange the columns...

The benefit of a separate column is that you can sort on extensions also.

BTW even without the Extensions column activated, you can use ALT+CTRL+T to sort on file type.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

wrt drivebar, the only reason that it's being held back is some uncertainty in the toolbar and layout/docking code that is going to be used in the end of the day. Many people swear by the drivebar, so it is coming albeit not in the immediate future
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Nikos, will the drive bar be optional?

I hate to be pushy, but I really perfer without... :)
It is my job to comfort the disturbed,
and to disturb the comfortable.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

like the main toolbar it will be possible to turn it on/off, no worries!
Nick44

Post by Nick44 »

Thankyou for your help guys, I really appreciate it. I was not aware of the columns arrangement options but I really like it. There is also something I really like among all the wonderful features of this alpha version, and that is the shadowing of the pane that is not currently in use, thats a brilliant idea, because one glance at the explorer2 panes and you know exactly what pane your working in. :o) I have in the past made some terrible mistakes by copying or pasting to the wrong pane!! oops!!..

But thanks again for the info , I change my column layout and also informed the people who I recommended explorer to, so that they now can see the file types and it will be easier for them to associate what goes where , its very handy. And thanks also for the future option of a drive bar , I suppose its no big deal, I just click on the drive from the tree if I need to change it, as I have 4 hard drives, and 2 cd burners, along with a internal zip, and floppy so, for me a drive bar would be great.

Keep up the great work,

Nick,