Browsing to network share opens in an Explorer window

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Bastage

Browsing to network share opens in an Explorer window

Post by Bastage »

I have a folder called quick that I have set as my Ctrl-1 bookmark that contains shortcuts to a variety of the locations I use most frequently. (Amazing, eh ..? hehe ..)

Most of the folders are local but there are a few that point to network shares. My problem is that if I haven't used the share recently 9 times out of 10 when I double click to browse into the folder it winds up appearing in a newly spawned Explorer window.

The same issue had plagued me for some time in 2x and when I mentioned it to you originally I think I was one of the lucky few who got to see the infancy stages of x2 since you tweaked a few settings in your new baby and sent me a copy to see if the issue was still there. (If memory serves I think you mentioned there was a timer that may have been set too low.)

Anyway, the network share is very local, high speed 100/1000Mb links from desktop to server (and file copies fly down) so it wouldn't appear to be a speed issue on the network causing a delay in browsing or anything.

A symptom I can reproduce 100% of the time is for one particular server that I have 2 shortcuts to, if I browse into one (which creates the spawned explorer window), when I browse to the other one it opens normally within x2 and any subsequent browsing to either shortcuts work as expected until I eventually move onto other things and don't use the share for a while. (At which point the process starts fresh.) It's actually gotten to the point where I intentionally browse to the opposite folder that I want to work with so that when I double click on the folder I need it works as it should.

Very strange ..
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

nobody knows what m$ are doing under the covers wrt these network links. However I have to stick with the time conjecture since network speed can be affected by # of users accessing it etc. Perhaps after a period left unuzed these shortcuts become "dormant" (my term) and take longer to resolve. Do you have to login to access these?
Bastage

Post by Bastage »

Nope, all the systems are on the same domain so no login is required.

Referring back to when I had previously brought this up, whatever timer you tweaked appeared to have fixed the issue if memory serves correctly but when I started playing with x2 I noticed that the issue had reappeared. (Meaning whatever change you made either never found it's way into the production code or that really wasn't the fix.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

2x and x2 use exactly the same timeout (1 sec)
do they behave differently?