About hyperlinks to other documents

Questions & Answers

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

tacoz

About hyperlinks to other documents

Post by tacoz »

While HTTP links work just fine (and opens a browser), I can't seem to get FILE:// to open another file in another instance of ED2. I sometimes make reference to other text files and it would be nice to hyperlink to them but the FILE: adds itself to the UNC pathname and hence produces an I/O error and doesn't find the file. Is there a solution? Thank you and regards!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

wouldn't such links open in internet explorer? From there you can piggy-jump to all your linked files
tacoz

Post by tacoz »

Let me explain again... HTTP hyperlinks do use the browser and that is not where I am having a problem.

It is when I want to reference a FILE hyperlink, eg. in a normal text-file:

some words...
go to this text-file
more words...

would have to be written as:

some words...
go to this file://text-file.txt
more words...

but the FILE hyperlink produces an I/O error whereas the HTTP hyperlinks work just fine. Is there a way to call or open another text-based file (eg fileB.txt) from within another file (eg fileA.txt)? fileA and fileB would each be open in their own instances of ed2.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i've just discovered that file:// hyperlinks work but (a) require the full path and (b) the associated program is called, not necessarily ed2 (e.g. it could be the visual studio for .cpp files)

moreover if the path contains spaces it won't work, even if substituted by %20. The short 8.3 path works in these cases

this behaviour is an interesting curiosity but I don't control it, the underlying richedit control does
tacoz

Post by tacoz »

thanks Nikos!

as you say, working with 8.3 naming seems to make it work
(dat stupid richedit control thingy!)
now I can get to working on that text-based table of contents....

cheers!
Errol