Questions & Answers

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Weird characters in plain text files

Post by JRz »

Nikos,

I have encountered the following anomaly in log files we use. sometimes characters are 'transformed' into graphical symbols. :?

I checked with other editors and it seems to be somthing which has to do with the much praised RTF control you use for Editor2 :roll:

In Wordpad (also uses RTF control) the same feature manifests itself. In other editors (vim, word, notepad) the phenomenon doesn't occur.

Is this something you can fix or do we have to live with it???

I'll try to send you a file which has the weird character in it via pm.
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are these OEM characters?
try emailing it to me (address in the "about" box)
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

nikos wrote:are these OEM characters?
No, simple ascii characters. Not always the same characters which get deformed, but always plain ascii ones (we don't use many exotic chars in our log files)

Check your mail, you should find several mail items from me. The last one sent is the right one. The rest can be archived (time to go home; I'll break more than I can fix today I'm afraid ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

got the file

i see what you mean & it doesn't make any sense
the richedit control is converting from UTF-8 but the same sequence of characters gets converted correctly most of the time, but incorrectly some of the time. Not my fault!

On the positive side, when I convert the text on my own, there are no flaws. In the near future there will be an upgrade for ed2 which will allow direct manipulation and saving of UTF8, OEM, etc, so some of these ills will be cured
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

Don't be alarmed! I already established that it's not your fault! Just wondered if there was something you could do about it.

I'll patiently wait for the new features to be released in the future. In the mean time I'll just ignore the quirks...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

make sure you check out the new encoding features in x.51
both the quickviewer and grep should allow you to search in UTF8 files, both with and without the "BOM" at the beginning of the file!
(this should be really useful for people that use UTF8 to store non ascii characters)