File opening error when viewing HTML from browser

Questions & Answers

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

patou

Post by patou »

I've replaced the original "notepad.exe" by "2xeditor" after renaming it of course.

Everything is OK except the "view source " (right click) option in the IE browser: 2xEditor is launched but a "file opening error xxxx " error message appears :-(((

Putting back the original notepad.exe solve this, but I would like to use 2xEditor !!!

Any idea ?

???

Attachment: http://netez.com/bbphp/uploads/post-16- ... p00058.jpg
patou

Post by patou »

Sorry, I forget to firstly thanks Nikos for his nice tool ;-)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i heard this one before. The problem is similar to that explained in FAQ# 10 (reading filenames containing spaces), only there's no solution -- unless somebody finds exactly where in the registry IExx keeps the entry for its viewer (notepad.exe?). If you can find that and patch it in a similar fashion as in FAQ#10, please let me know!
mic

Post by mic »

Hey Nikos great program i am totally in awe; not sure i want to try the upgrade the original is so good how could it be better ...

having the same trouble .. change the registry key for the msie 'viewsource editor' but can't work out a way to code the "d:\program files\2x\2xeditor.exe" "%1" that will make the browser happy .. darn it .. best part of 2x is the rapid internal editor! would be soooo good to work for view source :shrug: mic

win 98 registry Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name]
Name: (Default)
Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value: Path and Filename of Editor
patou

Post by patou »

Hello Nikos,

I confirme this. Even with the good key, 2xeditor doesn't accept to be the default IE source editor :-(((

No idea ???
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there's probably a very simple solution for IE's problems but we'll have to ask the people who wrote the darn thing

in the meantime i would recommend switching to editor2, which will handle filenames with spaces better in the next version (unless there are command line options)
thebrat

You CAN use Editor2 as the default Editor in IE. Here's how:

Post by thebrat »

And it IS simple

I don't know if this will work on all OSs, but it worked on three W98 machines that we've tried, and we're happy. No registry fooling needed either.

Here's how:
How To Make Editor2 your default viewer for IE

1. Go to your desktop and double click My Computer
2. In My Computer use the View menu to get to folder options
3. Once in Folder Options, click File Types tab and then scroll to “HTML document” Depending on what version of IE you are using and what other browsers you have installed on your system, you may find this further down the list under “Microsoft HTML document” Do not select “HTML application.”
4. double click the item you identified in 3, above
5. In the actions box, double click Edit
6. Browse to or enter the path to editor2.exe on your computer and then
7. add at the end: “%1” Be sure to put one space in front of the first quote
8. Click Okay and then close your way out of all the dialogs.

Next:
9. Open IE and in the Tools menu, select Internet Options
10. Go to the Programs tab and specify with the drop down “lightweight notepad replacement” instead of “Windows Notepad” or blank, or anything else you might see in your drop down.

Important, you must use the Edit button to utilize Editor2 in IE (the menu options will still open Notepad and so will the right-click view source option) (Thanks Bill.)

If you can already easily see your Edit button in the IE tool bar, you’re ready to go, if not:
11. Go to the View menu, then Toolbars, then Customize.
12. Be sure the Edit Icon is in the Current Toolbar buttons area
13. If not, add it from the left pane by selecting it on the left and clicking the Add -> button.
14. Use the Move Up button to move it into a prominent area of your toolbar so you can see it easily when you’re in your browser.
15. (Option: delete all of the extraneous buttons you never use from the toolbar at this time, too.)
The Brat
----------------------------
If you're going through hell, keep going. [Sir Winston Churchill]
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

well not exactly simple but you may have just discovered the equivalent of cold fusion in the HTML department :) I'll have to give it a try!

very soon I will be doing an update for editor2 to make it interact more closely with the new xplorer2 (e.g. sharing FindText strings and options). It will also become multi-threaded and more to the point, it will read the whole command as a filename without expecting quotes -- just like notepad does. Hence the simplest hack for IE would be to rename ed2 to notepad.exe after all. More on this later