Future of 'stand-alone' Editor2?

Questions & Answers

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

NorthPole

Future of 'stand-alone' Editor2?

Post by NorthPole »

Will versions of Editor2 higher than 2.5.0.5 only be available in future as part of the Explorer2 package, and not be offered in a stand-alone form as previously? And are the later versions in some way seen as being inappropriate for use independently of Explorer2? If so it's rather a shame.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Future of 'stand-alone' Editor2?

Post by fgagnon »

So far, the latest can always be extracted from any xplorer2 install (including the free "Lite" version).
Even though "packaged" with xplorer², Editor² remains an excellent standalone app. :)
I can't say if nikos will be offering it as a separate download (he has removed it from the old 2xExplorer web-page); but elsewhere in these forums, he has indicated that it's okay to remove it from the xplorer² package & use it independently.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sorry but i can't be bothered with separate downloads
people are free to extract ed2 from x2 and use it separately
NorthPole

Post by NorthPole »

Nikos : fair enough, and I agree with fgagnon's comment - it is an excellent editor!
Medlir

Post by Medlir »

Though Editor2 can be extracted from x2 lite, it's the ANSI version. So it seems that if you want the Unicode version, you'll have to pay for the Unicode version of x2 Pro?
moof!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Because x2-pro is try-before-you-buy, you can extract Editor2_UC from it freely.
It is x2 that won't run beyond its trial period -- both 'flavors' of Editor2 remain unrestricted, except for their copyright.
Medlir

Post by Medlir »

Ahhh, thanks for that clarification. I didn't realize there was a try before you buy version, I figured "lite" filled that gap. Thanks for pointing that out.
moof!
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

Editor2 is certainly an awesome stand-alone editor...  I have a 'Editor2_UC.exe' file in my system32 directory, a deticated rightClick contextMenu for it over all file-types, and even a copy on my pen-drive!
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
ecjb

Ed2 UC and ANSI versions...

Post by ecjb »

Q:  I have x2 pro and ed2 UC that came with it, which has a version of 2.6.0.6.  I saw somewhere that since I'm using XP, that I could use the ed2 version that doesn't have UC after it (ANSI?) and still edit Unicode files like in the Unicode dedicated version that came with x2 pro.

Now a) is this so, and b) if so, how do I get the latest version of ed2?  When I downloaded it, it had a lower version number.  When I download the x2 zip file it only contains the UC version.

Thanks for answering (a possibly dumb) question.
- ECJB.

"If a million people believe a dumb idea, it's still a dumb idea."  - ECJB.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you are on xp you're better off with the unicode version
the ansi version will edit unicode files but if you are using any regional characters (greek, russian, chinese) you'll run into trouble