Feature: Outlined Text Files for Editor

Questions & Answers

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

ricmarte

Feature: Outlined Text Files for Editor

Post by ricmarte »

Hello Folks;

I was wondering if Nikos and anyone thought the following feature was worth implementing in some future version of Editor:

Have Editor handle .otl files(Outlined Text Files).

Outlined Text Files are simple text files with headings that allow you to navigate text quickly. Below is an example of how NoteTab does this. However, many other simple editor do this. When you open an .otl file in NoteTab, a frame opens up and shows you the headings (e.g., Chapter1, Chapter2).  When you click on a heading, only the text corresponding to that heading is shown in the text editor.  For example, if you clicked on the "Chapter1" heading.  Yo would only see the "Some text here" text in the editor window.

The implications for x2 are plenty, you can save output in the format and make it easier to navigate.  A text version of x2's help file or shortcut file can be formatted this way very quickly.  As you will see below, the headers can be simple lines of text like, H = "....".  I also think this feature falls under the purview of a text editor: to edit and present text.

I don't have a linked screenshot yet but can e-mail you one on request. What do you think?

------Sample Text Begins Below This Line --------

= V4 Outline MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30

H="Chapter1"

Some text here.

H="Chapter2"

Some more text here.

------Sample Text Ends Above This Line --------

Thanks,

-Ric
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this isn't possible
or rather too much work!
tacoz

A simple workaround

Post by tacoz »

My workaround for my text books, is to use a TOC text file that points to various chapters that are simply other external text files. Just use the file:\\ link and remember to reference the full pathname, e.g. file:\\e:\path1\path2\filename.txt