Replace malfunctions

Questions & Answers

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

mike4477

Replace malfunctions

Post by mike4477 »

Ver. 2.6.0.5, W2K

In a small text file,  at each sentence end, I want to replace every instance of 2 spaces after a period with 1 space.

I highlight the double space, then Search/Replace, the highlighted double space is shown, in the Replace With space I use the spacebar once. then Replace All.

It seems to happen,  but in the resulting text flle, it did not happen. The double spaces are still present.

Advice?

ms
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it works for me. Try getting the latest version of ed2 which is included with the xplorer2 lite distribution
mike4477

Replace malfunctions

Post by mike4477 »

Thanks, Nikos.

I downloaded and extracted Editor 2.6.0.8, I guess that's the latest.

I tried in the same text file, this time watched closely what happens. Again, trying to replace 2 spaces with one space.

I tried highlighting the double space, then after that didn't work, I tried Copy the highlighted area into Replace, below I copied an example
---
e it.     John
----
When I started, there were 2 spaces between the period and John. Afterwards, Editor has *added* a space, there are now 3 spaces

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, please define how to use Replace.

BTW, I have used Replace in other text editors for years. I want to figure this out, as Editor2 really displays the text very well, better than many other editors.

ms
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't do anything fancy, hit ctrl+R, two spaces in "find what", one space in "replace with" and then hit ReplaceAll. Make sure you don't have any extra spaces in any box, that can be hard to tell, but use the cursor to count them manually