Middle mouse click in editor2?

Questions & Answers

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Middle mouse click in editor2?

Post by TsunamiZ »

Anyone know what middle mouse click in editor2 does?  All I can tell is that it changes the cursor to an arrow...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's probably from the scrolling hook (mouse) it doesn't come from editor2
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...the scrolling hook (mouse) it doesn't come from editor2
Does this mean you've no direct control over it's sensitivity?  Reared on Firefox's perfect implementation of universal scrolling, I use it quite a bit.

I've noticed ed2 (x64) has a habit of turning-it-on/cancelling-it with the same mouse-click (in other words, it's too sensitive to a single-click and won't stay "engaged").  Ordinarily I'd write this off as a mouse-driver quirk, but ed2 is the only programme which uses universal scrolling and seems to have a problem with it.

Basically I have to keep clicking until it "sticks", which is a tad annoying.

Unrelated (but related) the same middle-mouse-click action used in x2 (for file selection [infinitely useful!]) works fine - so I don't think it's my rodent's that to blame.

Any chance of toning-down it's polling-rate?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the same thing happens if you middle click in other scrolling-aware programs eg notepad, IE etc
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

...by which you're saying it calls the same MS routine, ergo the behaviour ought be similar?  Perhaps it should be, I use very few MS-specific programmes (aside from Word and Outlook, which both have horrible auto-scrolling), however neither of those (or IE) suffer this same overly sensitive toggle polling hitch.

I've only run into this with ed2.

As an aside, I have occasionally run into 3rd party SDK's (Dark Basic comes to mind) which seem to suffer a hyper-polling difficulty with mice, however, again, these are few and far between.

To be fair, I'm using an overclocked quad-core which may contribute, but as no other application displays this same toggle-boondoggle, I point my beleaguered metacarpal at ed2.

So, no chance of tweaking it then?

(The Proletariat Bricklayer's Union has by-laws about this sort of thing, you know [extra-curricular punishment of me poor digits].  They take infarctal phalangeal infractions seriously. :))
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try it in notepad too, then you will be free ;)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:try it in notepad too, then you will be free ;)
Nope, I'm not a free man; still just a number surrounded by obscurely oversized chess pieces.

The auto-scroll in Notepad works (if you can call it that)... well, at least the on/off toggle works fine - the scrolling rate itself is useless, whereas when it stays engaged the scrolling rate in ed2 is just fine, which is one of the reasons I use it.

Ok, a little experimentation: if I press (and hold [for a second or two]) a middle click (without moving the cursor) the auto-scroll turns off if I release the button.  This definitely does not happen elsewhere (Notepad, IE, etc) - the auto-scroll remains engaged, requiring an explicit second click to deactivate.

Notepad (or Wordpad for that matter) don't exhibit this.  (Really, I'm not making it up, it's a little frustrating when something so simple won't stay engaged properly.  To be honest, it has all the hallmarks of a failing-hardware difficulty [worn out buttons, etc.], except it only happens with ed2.)

Is ed2 created in the same mould as say Wordpad, where MS simply released the source-code (as part of a Visual Studio Example Pack) and you're free to modify/compile at your own will?

There is a distinct behaviour difference in how it's engaged, so something must be different.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

whatever this is it's a quirk of windows richedit control
now i have to move on to more pressing matters like swine flu and regulation of the tides :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

It's things like this that scar people for life, you know.

<Sigh>

Swine flu?  I did mention the Decameron elsewhere; all you need as a survival guide.  Who said something written 600 years ago couldn't be relevant today?  :wink:

And if Global Warming raises the sea-level, isn't Greece one of the first to go?  See how much good your tidal regulation does you then.  All the animals on Mt. Athos might survive, but seeing as they're all male, you might have a slight problem with reproduction...

Then you'll regret the middle-mouse button kafluffle. :D
mmelo

Post by mmelo »

Is it possible to map the middle click somehow? I'd like to make it do what freecommander does which is - when clicking on a folder - to open in in another tab. Sort of what CTRL+INS does in x2, but on the middle mouse button.

EDIT - I obviously mean on xplorer2 here, not editor2 ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sorry there's no easy way to remap that button other than hacking the program's accelerator table with something like resource hacker
mmelo

Post by mmelo »

nikos wrote:sorry there's no easy way to remap that button other than hacking the program's accelerator table with something like resource hacker
Hmm.... ok. BTW, what language is x2 coded in?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

C++