Inconsistent font within editor2

Questions & Answers

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

raptor|3D

Inconsistent font within editor2

Post by raptor|3D »

Hello,
I have been experiencing a problem with editor2. Sometimes the font becomes inconsistent.

In other case even the parts of a single word are composed from two various fonts (that seem to differ in size).
It happens mainly when a text is pasted from clipboard. But it can be also seen when writing a text from scratch.

If anyone has any idea how to fix this I would be thankful for it.
Thanks in advance.

Editor2 version: 2.8.0.3 Unicode
Font: Proportional
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I've seen a few strangely-rendered characters in the past with some fonts, but it's been a while, and I can't recall the circumstances.
For a long time now I have been using 9pt Lucida Console as my "Fixed" font and 12pt Times New Roman (or Arial, or Tahoma) as my "Proportional" font and have not noticed any of those "funnies" on the screen.
Printing is another matter: some letters or letter sequences are often mis-formed (or mis-kerned) as compared to the what one would expect from a high-priced word processor/editor; but as long as they are legible, I haven't complained.  :shrug:

PS - btw, the designations of "Fixed" and "Proportional" fonts in E² is a joke. You can choose to specify a fixed or proportional font at either location on the options dialog.
It would be perhaps more consistent if they were labeled "Font#1" and "Font#2".   ;)
raptor|3D

Post by raptor|3D »

This is another classic example (text pasted from x2 website).

with proportional font (MS Sans Serif; script - Central European):

with fixed font (Courier; script - Central European):
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i know this is a feature but i don't know why.
the simple solution is to hit F5 to refresh the file from disk (save first if necessary)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Toggling word wrap [F2 twice] should also work & it avoids the need to save before refreshing.  ;)
raptor|3D

Post by raptor|3D »

Thanks for replies nikos and fgagnon.

Nevertheless I have tried almost everything before to get rid of this problem - to save the file as Unicode/UTF-8/OEM type; to toggle the proportional and fixed fonts; to refresh the file; to toggle the word wrap, ... . Sometimes it works and the font get consistent, sometimes it does nothing at all and sometimes it will unify the font but will leave for example one sentence rendered with the other font.

So generally it doesn´t solve the problem.
raptor|3D

Post by raptor|3D »

Well it seems that the prolem appears when I switch the keyboard from CS (Czech) to EN (English). After the switch (even when I won´t write anything and switch back to CS) the font get adjusted and from this space and time everything is rendered with different font.

fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Until specific elements of what causes it can be identified unambiguously it will remain a mystery.  :shrug:
What is your OS and platform and display?
What 'customizations' have you made?
Are your display drivers/dll's all up-to-date?
(some or none of the above may be relevant)
:crazy:
PS - missed your post while I was composing.  It looks like you have stumbled on a clue. :o
desslok
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by desslok »

This happens in other light-weight editors (I can't remember which).  I think it's a bug due to MS. So you either have to deal with it in editor2 or use an editor that does its own drawing.
raptor|3D

Post by raptor|3D »

I think I found a solution after all.

I have changed the font to Calibri and everything seems to be working fine.
See the tests:

MS Sans Serif:

Calibri:

The time will tell if this is the ultimate solution.

fgagnon, now that I read one of your prevoius posts it was very good observation to test more fonts.
I've seen a few strangely-rendered characters in the past with some fonts, but it's been a while, and I can't recall the circumstances.
For a long time now I have been using 9pt Lucida Console as my "Fixed" font and 12pt Times New Roman (or Arial, or Tahoma) as my "Proportional" font and have not noticed any of those "funnies" on the screen.
One possibly interesting thing - the fonts in the list that don´t possess the "O" (OpenOffice) icon seem to cause the problem. Coversely the fonts with "O" icon work fine. But I haven´t tested every single font so I cannot certainly say this is the rule.

raptor|3D

Post by raptor|3D »

After some further testing - no, this is not 100% solution but when I add nikos´ tip (reload a file using F5) it helps to get rid of the inconsistency. For now.
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

I still have this problem from time to time...

Any final bug-fix? ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

did you try this?
viewtopic.php?t=6902
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

But I like clickable URLs ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it has clickable urls too, or it doesn't for you? did you set dwTEXTMODE  to 41?