How to select UTF-8 encoding?

Questions & Answers

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

ScottWall
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

How to select UTF-8 encoding?

Post by ScottWall »

I've loaded a UTF-8 file into editor² but it is not being recognized as UTF-8 and the special characters are not being displayed correctly. How do I force the encoding to UTF-8?

This file displays correctly in gvim when set to UTF-8 encoding.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

when you use File > Open pick "utf 8" as the open as type (bottom of window)
ScottWall
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ScottWall »

nikos wrote:when you use File > Open pick "utf 8" as the open as type (bottom of window)
I never use File > Open; I always open the files through xplorer² so I would never see this.

Is there any way to add a menu option to use a different encoding after the file is loaded so that I can open files through xplorer² (as I have always done).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for that the best i can do is use the /C:2 command line option, see editor2.txt for more details
minutte

Post by minutte »

well that doesn't work with a lot of cyrillic texts, which are traditionally still in koi8-r.
For instance pick at random a text from lib.ru, and it will not display with editor2 /c:2 .You're not alone, most editors which claim unicode capabilities don't get it without "help" (Notepad++, etc).
I use UniRed (http://www.esperanto.mv.ru/UniRed/ENG/ , and it's free code...) , which is the only win32 editor I know of which does detect the correct encodings. Most of the russian ascii texts are in koi8-r, and one has to know its windows codepage which is 20866.
So the command editor2 /c:20866 is the right one, but, as I said, one has to instruct the editor. So instead of editor2 I configure unired,exe as default text editor, so I can display any text right with a double-click on it.