editor is automatically spreading letters leaving a space

Questions & Answers

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

escaramujo

Post by escaramujo »

"T h i s  i s  a s a m p l e" besides it does not allow me to copy text to another app.

i also would like to know how to automatically assign the extension .txt

would very much appreciate your help. thank you. Rafael
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

is this for text you type yourself or for text from a file you've read from disk?
escaramujo

Post by escaramujo »

I cut and paste from my bank web pages as notes for myself. This is a random occurrence. I wonder if by mistake I clicked in the wrong button. Is this possible? Unfortunately, I don't remember what I did nor have I been able to recreate the error.

Thank you for responding to my concern. Rafael.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: editor is automatically spreading letters leaving a spac

Post by Kilmatead »

escaramujo wrote:I cut and paste from my bank web pages as notes for myself. This is a random occurrence.
(A little late, but by way of explanation...)

People often assume that when you "Copy/Paste" text from web pages you're "only" copying the text you see... this is not true: as any Internet Security brief will mention, your browser is also copying the formatting/style and possible HTML codes embedded within that displayed text.

99% of the time this "extra" information is stripped out upon Pasting, but sometimes the application you're pasting into tries to reinterpret the codes... in this instance, it's failing and instead of a "clean strip" you get a messy assemblage of invisible ASCII codes inserted alongside the text, which is making ed2 dance with two left feet.

Generally speaking (and impractically as well) said Security briefs will tell you never (in the interests of security) Copy/Paste from internet sites.  This, whilst true, could also be seen as a bit anal.  There can be, as mentioned, side effects though.
escaramujo

thank you for your response.

Post by escaramujo »

Thank you very much for answering my question. Those hidden codes might be the culprits for the formatting as it does not always happens. I will be watching this situation more closely. Rafael.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

For anyone interested, or particularly plagued by this, there is an extension for Firefox called Auto Context which can provide the ability (amongst many other things) to specifically capture plain text only...