MAKE editor2_UC my default text editing program in Vista

Questions & Answers

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

yanboq

MAKE editor2_UC my default text editing program in Vista

Post by yanboq »

HOW DO I MAKE editor2_UC.exe my default text editing program in Vista?

I have editor2  Version 2.9.0.3 Unicode
it is located here:
C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2
When I try to change the default program for opening text files, Vista does not recognize editor2_UC.exe as a valid program. It DOES recognize an older version of e2! (2.5)
What should I do?
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find it.
THANK YOU!
yanboq

Post by yanboq »

I said I COULD make a previous version of editor2 the default text tool, but I was wrong. When I choose it and come back to the confirm screen, it is not there, either. If there are instructions somewhere THAT WORK as to how to make editor2 the default text editor, someone please take me there. Thank you.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i have answered this question on email. Please make sure your editor2 executable exists and it is not removed/uninstalled or blocked by your antivirus etc
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

since you didn't get that email i sent you, here goes again

right click on any text file, then pick open with then locate somehow editor2 (by browsing), then tick the box somewhere that says "use this program always to open text files"
yanboq

Post by yanboq »

Yes, of course. That is ONE of the ways to associate programs. What I unsuccessfully was trying to tell you was that that DOESN'T WORK. When I "right click on any text file, then pick open with then locate somehow editor2 (by browsing),"   THERE IS NO TICK BOX. (" then tick the box somewhere that says "use this program always to open text files"")

screenshot (totally unnecessary, I know) http://acetaweb.com/temp/ItsNotThere.jpg

any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
I've been using xplorer2 for several years now and am totally happy. (WAS).

All the times I've reformatted my hard disk everything has worked fine. This week I reformatted my drive and when I re-installed xplorer2, I inadvertently clicked the option to replace windows explorer. I cannot recall if editor2 was an "option" for me then, but I uninstalled xplorer2 and since then editor2 HAS NOT SHOWN UP as a tick box after selecting it in the Program Files directory.
yanboq

Post by yanboq »

naturally, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling xplorer2 several times, removing all registry information, but something is still keeping it from appearing. I've gone to Zone alarms and given editor2 full rights and privileges accross the board.  Still invisible upon return to the choice screen.
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

I don't speak your language (Spanish, Portuguese?), but does this "Usar siempre ..." not exactly mean, what nikos told you in English? Still edit2 needs to get browsed using Examinar.
yanboq

Post by yanboq »

It means exactly what it says in English when you are at that point with a Windows operation. It gives you a click box to choose to use one of the available programs always for that particular file type. But editor2 never shows up as an option. I see that I said something very confusing in the previous post. I said the click box wasnt' there.   It is. But what is NOT there is editor2 as an option. Even though I clicked on it and chose it by searching for it and finding it in Program Files directory, it doesn't show up when I get to this screen.
yanboq

screen shot of the procedure

Post by yanboq »

Here is a pdf file with the screen shots of the two steps I take.
1) find the executable file
2) see an identical screen as before, with no way to choose editor2

http://www.acetaweb.com/temp/ItsNotThere.pdf
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Try clicking the small 'down arrow' at the end the of "Otros programas" line, it will supply further programme choices.
yanboq

good try

Post by yanboq »

good try. I was not aware of that little arrow. but alas! nothing.
http://www.acetaweb.com/temp/others.pdf
From there I went to "examine" to find again the editor executable file, and when I came back and clicked the little arrow again, I saw what you see in the screen shots in the above link.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Suffering along with all the usual pathetic platitudes about chickens coming home to roost, reaping what you sow, no good deed goes unpunished, there but for the grace of God, and all things come to he who waits...

...while attempting to associate VLC player with ISO files (don't ask) I ran directly into the same problem as this thread attempted to address... for some infuriating reason Windows simply refuses to add a specifically selected executable to the Open-With dialogue.

The solution, thankfully, is provided by a small utility called OpenWithAdd, which simply registers any application to the Open-With programme list, and - as they say - Bob's your uncle.

You still may need to "click the small arrow" to find it, but the newly registered programme will appear somewhere in that list.

Works for XP, Vista, and x64 flavours.

It's always fun when Windows reduces grown men to tears.  We punch things like children, proving, after all, that we're not all that grown up in the first place.  I would posit that's a good thing, because all responsible adults are boring old stick-in-the-mud's who could use the animalistic freedom of a good pugilistic display anyway.

Ergo, Windows is Good.

See?  You can prove anything with syllogistic logic, hence why it's a flawed form of reasoning.

I'm going to go punch S. I. Hayakawa, as you do.  :wink:
yanboq

THANK YOU!

Post by yanboq »

Good goin'! WORKS. :D
  How absolutely fabulous to have my familiar editor2 back in operation!  :D
Thank you thank you thank you. I don't know WHO you are, but I wish you God's very best for you, there in Ireland and wherever else in the world life may take you! zabkathappyuser (a) gmail  com.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Glad it works... though as a small sign of humility, you'll note that I didn't find a solution until it affected me personally, so as any good sinner, I'm still as undeserving of God's good grace as ever.  :wink:

And if God doled out such grace for every mere link provided, we'd all be rich men indeed.  :D