Feature Suggestion--Reveal Hidden

Questions & Answers

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Marcus

Feature Suggestion--Reveal Hidden

Post by Marcus »

I would like to suggest a feature for the Editor -- the ability to reveal the normally hidden characters such as space, paragraph, etc. This would be really helpful when trying to 'even up' and 'pretty up' text formatting. Forgive me if this suggestion has already been made -- I'm new to these forums. I also agree with a previous message that the 'search/replace' function could be improved --personally, I'd like to be able to enter a code such as ^p and have it search for and replace paragraph characters and similar special characters. Otherwise, I find the software very useful and like it a lot. Thanks!
Marcus
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the only "special" characters understood by the editor are tabs and linefeeds. In the near future I'll add the ability to search for a generic character by code i.e. $13$10 (\r\n) can be used to search for the end of line
Marcus

Sounds Great

Post by Marcus »

That sounds like exactly the kind of functionality I need. Is there any way to display these character codes, too, or would one just have to search to find out where they are? It would be helpful to me if I could look at the page and count the character codes, e.g. "OK, there are 3 $13$10 codes between those 2 lines, so there will be 2 blank lines", etc. My eyes are not always sharp enough to tell without seeing the codes, especially if there are very many (e.g., 6 tabs vs. 7 tabs, or 12 spaces vs 13 spaces). Even just veing able to see tab and space characters would be a big help. (I apologize if I'm sounding too demanding...having read some of the other posts, it appears some people would like you to create a magnum opus they could use as a spreadsheet/desktop publishing/food preparation/backrub utility. Please don't do it! One of the things I like about your Editor is that it is small, quick to load, etc.
Marcus
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there's no way to do it now but I'm thinking about it for the next version. Making the codes visible is not possible with the edit control editor2 is using