if you have any problems, feedback or suggestions please let me know
if your smartscreen filter tells you that "this program is not frequently downloaded" please see here
Here are the features added this time
* Optional UP-DIRECTORY (..) item by enabling GAO2_UPDIRITEM (=16384) advanced option. The famous NC <UP-DIR> item will be added for all filesystem folders allowing you to go up one level. It will also act as a drop target if you want to move anything up one level. In most folder sorting modes, this pseudo-item is placed first for easy access.
* [P] mass renaming change case of filenames to UPPER or lower, using the MODE drop-down box. In this mode you cannot make any changes to the name other than its case. For more advanced case changing options you can use regular expressions in "search and multi-replace" mode e.g.
RENAME: camelCaseToSnakeCase.txt => camel_Case_To_Snake_Case.txt
(finds capitalized letters and inserts _ underscores)
NOTE: when changing the case of filenames, you may need to press <CTRL+R> keys to refresh the folder and see the changes
* xplorer² communicates simple messages using the leftmost status bar pane. If the message is too long to be seen in its entirety, the panel will scroll the message FYI. You can also use HELP > LAST ERROR menu command to see the last error message, if you missed the statusbar text.
* [U xplorer² 64-bit version will automatically use 32 bit text extraction filters, in case you have only 32 bit versions of them installed, so you can search in more advanced document types bypassing 32/64 bit hell! To turn off the new feature use advanced registry option GAO2_NOFBROKER32 (=4096)
* [P] TOOLS > CHECK DUPLICATES menu command will ask if you want to compare both left/right folders if in dual pane mode, or just the current (active) folder
* [P] numeric search rules include a new unit "minutes" meant for audio/video duration (LENGTH property), equivalent to 600,000,000 base units (100s of nanoseconds). This way you can locate MP3 tunes by duration easily
* Find tab command dialog shows the full path of the selected item in the description area for easier identification
* Active path portion in the crumbBar is highlighted by underlining, accentuating the "click on link" mouse action. If you need even better visibility, you can change the "folder highlight color" using Advanced Options menu command.
* [P] New Infobar stock column TOTAL DURATION shows the total length of any selected media files (music and video). Right click on an infobar (VIEW > TOOLBARS menu) to turn it on (select the column)
* New friendlier dates activated with advanced registry option GAO2_PALDATE (=8192). They are easy to read AND offer more information than the older "friendly dates" (available from program options, Advanced property page — you need to turn this option on too). Now you get at least 1-day accuracy for all files; for modification dates that are recent, you get up to minute accuracy (e.g. "last 10 minutes"). If you are sorting by a stock date column, the view automatically refreshes every 1 minute to show correct minute-accurate dates.
NOTE: when friendly dates are on, you can see exact dates (including time) using the Detais pane (VIEW menu)
* $-counters (e.g. $1) used in mass rename can have an optional step size instead of the default increase by one. The step is defined after the starting digits separated by a colon, as $1:2 (will generate the sequence 1 3 5...) Remember that the counter token reflects the starting number and any leading zeroes: $003:5 will generate the sequence 003 008 013 ...
* registry writes get to be a bit more efficient, only saving lists that have actually changed. This was quite a sweeping code change so please keep an eye open for any odd settings behavior (bookmarks and other custom lists).
* [U export settings to INI file correctly saves all layout data, if any custom layouts are defined (see WINDOW menu); the side effect is that all layouts must be opened simultaneously (with your permission). Likewise switching saving program settings from registry to INI (or vice versa) will save all layout settings.
* [P] if you right click on a toolbar button that corresponds to a customizable command (e.g. bookmark, macro, user command) you can edit its definition using PROPERTIES menu command. This is quicker than going through the ORGANIZE menu command for the customizable list
* [P] Macros can be duplicated (cloned) within the macro Organize dialog (see CUSTOMIZE menu)
* [P] better handling of custom icons (user commands etc), which should help faster program startups and adding of custom items. If you use custom icons a lot, it's best to use something available from a local DLL or file, otherwise delays may result
* For large files (above the checksum extraction limit set in TOOLS > OPTIONS) checksum [S]tock column will calculate the first 4MB (or whatever the limit is) and add the file size on top. So it will be an indication of file content for comparison purposes, at least better than no checksum at all for large files! This doesn't apply for the MD5 column, which is still constrained by the checksum limit.
* When a tree item is filtered and filtering is suspended, a right click context menu will show a checkmark next to "Hide this folder" command. Use the command to UNhide a tree node
* Copy/Move to dialog (F5/F6 keys) HERE box includes all bookmarks and frequent folders as targets for easy selection. In this box up-arrow autocomplete works: type part of the name of the path then hit up arrow key a few times till you see the desired folder selected.
* [P] The similar picture locator dialog box (TOOLS > FIND SIMILAR PHOTOS menu command in a scrap window) has a checkbox to "select all duplicates", so you can easily get rid of the extras. However it is advisable to double check the automatic selections and intervene manually to keep the good pictures, as the AI involved doesn't possess artistic taste yet
Ticking this SELECT option will automatically turn on sticky selection mode. To turn it off press <ALT+S> keys or see MARK menu.