Any chance for silent install options

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

teknowledgist

Any chance for silent install options

Post by teknowledgist » 2021 May 01, 15:14

Hi.

I know about the '/S' switch for a silent, default install, but there are some options (e.g. "replace windows explorer") that are only available at install time. IMHO, those options are more likely to be desired by more advanced users, which means the very people who are more likely to use an automated/scripted method for installing X2 are the ones who don't have the option to do an automated/scripted install because those options have to be manually set during install.

While having all of the install options with command line switches would be great, could at least the options that can only be chosen at install be set up as switches so we can make this easier?

Thanks.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any chance for silent install options

Post by nikos » 2021 May 01, 17:26

do you install xplorer2 often?

teknowledgist

Post by teknowledgist » 2021 May 01, 17:41

Every time I rebuild one of my machines. :-)

I have most of the process automated (including getting the latest version), but X2 is one of only a few things I have to do manually.

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt » 2021 May 03, 01:09

I kinda of have to agree here. It would be awesome if we could automate the installation of X² for these types of things. I tend to cleanly install Windows at least once every 6 months, but I've had to / chosen to install it cleanly no less than 6 or 7 times since I built this rig (partially because it is just that fast to install on, to be sure).

Or, alternatively, an MSI installer to allow for advanced users to install with all the settings they want / to deploy to multiple PCs.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos » 2021 May 03, 06:38

I am not into rebuilding but isn't there a way you can snapshot your entire system, with installed apps and all so you don't need to install things one by one?

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp » 2021 May 03, 11:27

An automation script like the ones you'd make with AHK or AutoIt could easily solve this, it's also flexible and extensible and can be applied to anything that doesn't have a silent install feature.

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt » 2021 May 05, 00:48

nikos wrote:
2021 May 03, 06:38
I am not into rebuilding but isn't there a way you can snapshot your entire system, with installed apps and all so you don't need to install things one by one?
Yes - but with Windows changing every 6 or so months, that renders it somewhat useless. I do make system images, but clean installing can fix things sometimes that a reversion to a backup / system image cannot. If I weren't such an avid PC gamer, I'd be on Linux already and be done with this mess of an OS.