Strange edge-case failure in mass rename wizard

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Strange edge-case failure in mass rename wizard

Post by otlaolap »

I have lots of files with names like "asdf.see.see" (asdf varies; ".see.see" does not). I seek to rename them using the mass rename wizard specifying that I want ".see.see" to become ".see". Alternatively I seek to rename them using the mass rename wizard specifying that I want ".see" to become "". In both cases the wizard reports that it renamed them all -- but the names are not changed on the disk. This is, btw, with X2 5.1.0.2 ULT x64 11/27/2021 on Win 10 Pro 64-bit.

The quirk here, what makes this likely an edge case, is that ".see" is specified in the registry as a "NeverShowExt" file type: in the entry for .see under HKCR\.see there is the value NeverShowExt (its data is blank). So in normal usage I never see the .see extension (just like .lnk or .reg in normal usage).

I will turn to other mechanisms to do the renames. Just thought I'd mention this merely out of a general admiration for oddities.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Strange edge-case failure in mass rename wizard

Post by nikos »

are you hiding extensions? If so, there's another bug with mass renaming, which I fixed but haven't released, that may cause double extensions to appear. Either show all extensions from system folder options, or set nMaxSlowRename (see the changelog) to 0 to use the old rename code
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try the latest build 5103 (check for updates)
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

5103 did not change things -- .see.see remained .see.see. The nMaxSlowRename value when applied to 5103 did, however, fix it: .see.see became .see. So where I used to see .see.see now I see .see. (Enough.) I'll leave nMaxSlowRename set to zero.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can you explain to me exactly how to reproduce this problem? How are the files called, how you setup the mass rename, and if you are hiding extensions or not in general?
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

On my machine, using just a slight change:

1. Create a new file and name it "test.lnk.lnk"
2. Select that file
3. Open the mass rename wizard (File -> Mass rename...)
4. Ensure that 'preserve extension" is not checked
5. In "What to match" enter ".lnk.lnk"
6. In "Target name template" enter ".lnk"
7. Press "preview" or get nagged
8. Press "rename"
9 Read "1 item(s) renamed" message on the main X2 window
10. Open a command line, do a dir, and see that "test.lnk.lnk" still exists and that "test.lnk" does not

I have not modified the registry for .lnk and I do not see a "NeverShowExt" entry under it, so I suppose it is a vanilla Win 10 test case.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

,lnk seems an exception, but i tried it (your procedure with test.txt.txt and it removed one .txt correctly
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

As I said, "edge case": I know the .see extension on my machine has the NeverShowExt key set, and I think, although I don't see it in the registry, .lnk and some other file types are automatically excluded from having extensions shown. I do have "File name extensions" checked in the View ribbon of the WIndows Explorer, and I do not have "Hide extensions for known file types" checked in the View page of Windows Explorer's View->Options dialog, so that I always want to see the extensions, but the .lnk extension does not show up in Explorer. Or in X2. Same for the .see extension in my original setting of the problem. (I think I remember being able to see .lnk in the past, and if so then maybe some recent Windows update has caused this problem.)