xplorer2 v2.3 final

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I didn't even know there is a 4 beta. (edit: Researched and found it. Seems like I'll have to disable the Search functionality there. Well then, one checkbox away.) It is not on the website.  :shock:

Of course it does not replace the "visual filters" - but if I search for one specific object (like: in my music collection), it works like a charm.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:It is not on the website.  [...] but if I search for one specific object (like: in my music collection), it works like a charm.
You have to go through the god-awful forum software your man uses for the discussions to find it.

Like I said - great as a single object filter, or for general modal assassination, but V3 started showing signs of silliness, like intrusive popup toolbars with idiotic heart-icons on them, etc.  Your man's an honest and responsive developer, but he's a little too prone to adding frivolity.  Some frivolity is good (a lesson Nikos could learn a little bit about), but too much is just annoying.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Software tends to grow over time. Take min.us, once a great and simple image hoster, turned into a half-baked social network with a mostly broken Android app within one year just because the devs think this would make them rich.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

Version 2.3 (U & P) are crashing, if I call menu Window -> Scrap container. Those crashes are at 100% producible. The x2-window stays open scrap window does not appear, the program is absolutely unresponsive and can only be removed by killing the task with the task manager.

The problem does not happen by calling "browse flat" and "send to scrap".

I found this in a virtual machine, which I reverted to the previous state (with X2 Pro 2.1.0.2 installed. After that I at first proved, that there was no crash by calling the scrap container. Than I installed 2.3 (doing nothing else) and the crashes by calling the scrap container where there again. Obviously a bug in the new version.

Found in XP SP3 (32 Bit).

Trying to switch the x2-language to English did not help.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can you send me the crash information file from HELP menu?
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

Send via e-mail.

There is another, but tiny thing:

Calling the folder options from the advanced options page seems at first to do nothing. But the folder options get opened indeed, the problem is, that they stay in the background of the x2-window. So they get only to be seen after minimizing x2 or using Alt-Tab switch.

Can you make it to be placed in the foreground - as expected? (Topmost option in x2 is not set - and no other program has this option set in the machine.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sorry, for some reason it stays back in XP... if I find a way to bring it upfront I will do so
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

This version is resizing the User Command organize dialog small again... you had set it in previous versions to remember the size it was set to or maybe just use a larger set size.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

This version is resizing the User Command organize dialog small
it works for me, check that you are saving settings properly
jcmn

Post by jcmn »

This new filter is a major addition but to be perfect the use should be extended at least to the mini scrap.

As it is it seems that the work is half done.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

The organize dialog is remembering its size now... not sure what was going on the other day... oh, well...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the miniscrap usually has but a few items, so filtering isn't such a big issue (?) but you can always use the old filtering methods, e.g. press Alt+G while the miniscrap is active
jcmn

Post by jcmn »

nikos wrote:the miniscrap usually has but a few items, so filtering isn't such a big issue (?) but you can always use the old filtering methods, e.g. press Alt+G while the miniscrap is active
I know that, and it's what I do, but in order to harmonize the filtering process I think it's a good idea.

By the way, my mini scrap has about 30 items and is growing.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

jcmn wrote:...in order to harmonize the filtering process I think it's a good idea.
From a reasonable point of view, I'd have to second that - the only reason I didn't notice it during beta is because I don't keep permanent miniscrap contents and use proper scrap containers first (mainly because they themselves are dual-pane) - but it's hard to argue against homogeneous filtering.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the reason why miniscrap was left out is that Alt+enter in the filter box works for the inactive pane. It is a conceptual limitation. Also the Search mode doesnt have any meaning in the scrap