xplorer2 v2.3 final

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Caveatrob

Video Screencast?

Post by Caveatrob »

There should be a brief screencast or text about what is new with 2.3. Possibly with a sexy female voice narrating. That promises more than will be delivered, but we don't care.
rnfolsom

Updated Xplorer² Manual Needed

Post by rnfolsom »

As I browsed through all four pages of this thread, I discovered that basically I have no idea about what any of the contributors are talking about.

Based on this thread, the set of changes in Xplorer² 2.3 appears to be enormous.  I probably have that reaction because I am an economist, and not a programmer --- my last programming was Fortran, a half century ago.  But I think most Xplorer² users probably are not programmers any more than I am.

Admittedly, there is a "demo video about the new filter box" (at http://zabkat.com/blog/xplorer2-v2.3.htm), which is well done.  But it doesn't explain why this "filter box" is needed.

The same page (see above) says that
"Arguably there's nothing really new about the filter box, xplorer² can do filtering, selecting and searching even without it. For many users it will be just a more convenient way to do these things. But for others it may be annoying! If you prefer the old ways of doing things then use Tools > Advanced options menu command. The snapshot to the right shows 2 settings that affect the quick filter. If you don't like the auto-jump feature, set the incremental search value to 0. To resize the filterbox use the percent value below. Set it to 0 if you don't want to see the filter box at all."
But if I prefer old 2.2.0.2 habits instead of the filter box, what's the point in moving from version 2.2.0.2 to version 2.3?

My judgment is that the change log (from a link at the same location) would make sense only to someone who was completely knowledgeable about the preceding Xplorer² version 2.2.0.2 (and, unfortunately, that wouldn't describe me;  I'm probably using only a few of the many 2.2.0.2 features.)

A Google search reveals that the latest Xplorer² manual is for version 2.1.0.1.  I think somebody should be encouraged to do an updated version, to include the 2.2 and now 2.3 enhancements.  I would be happy to make a financial donation; and my guess is that some others would do likewise.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

even if you don't find any use for the filter box you should better get the latest version (if your license allows it) because you get all sorts of improvements and bugfixes. As for the filter box you can just switch it off
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Why did I receive the update notification mail about 3 weeks after the release?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:Why did I receive the update notification mail about 3 weeks after the release?
In the last of the beta threads when Nikos asked "...or are you waiting as usual for me to call it a final version before the bugs start appearing?", he wasn't exactly making a joke.  :wink:  He doesn't like having too much egg on his face, as he gets enough of that come the children's breakfast-time.

Probably 99% of users don't actually follow the forums anyway (unless they have a question), so the RSS/Email/etc is it for notifications. :shrug:
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

So maybe he should annonce new versions two months after release when he can be safe that we found the most alloying quirks.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

He seems to be averaging around 6-months per "interesting" release - the rest is usually the small stuff brought about by external forces (understanding networks, translations, Windows updates, etc, etc).  All in all a pretty normal schedule for mature software - every now and then he goes off on a tangent that doesn't exactly get our skirts up and our knickers down (WDS, anyone?), but since Nikos doesn't seem to be as impressed by graphical frippery as most developers (yes .NET crowd, we're looking at you) it's harder to keep adding features that the masses will both understand and find useful, so sometimes we get changelogs which (as rnfolsom put it) "would make sense only to someone who was completely knowledgeable about the preceding Xplorer² version".  (Hence the reason the related blogs only centre upon one or two new aspects, which may not appeal to everyone.)

Which is why (as shown in this thread) whenever there's a change which infringes upon the primary interface, or the primary workflow method, the more conservative users will sit up and take notice in much the same way as no one likes it when mum takes away one's teddy to wash him from time to time - users are left with the impression that more has become unfamiliar than is actually the case.  (For example, what would happen if Nikos took this sort of thing seriously as a future possibility?)

Most normal users give changelogs only a cursory glance at best, and it must be remembered that version numbers also change in accordance to how much the developer feels "went into" the application, which is not always reflected in what most users actually see.  I would suggest to Narayan ("Keeper-of-the-Sacred-Scrolls") that he not give specific version numbers to the manual, as that only invites confusion - it's perhaps better to relate it as "The Version 2.3.x series", etc. :shrug:  As usual, any slack may be picked up via the forums.

Incidentally, along this theme, the user RightPaddock deserves very special mention for blatantly walking around with the phrase "Still seeking a compelling reason to upgrade to V2.x.x.x" emblazoned on his t-shirt (signature) for the last 18 months.  :D  That sort of behaviour goes a long way to keeping people (both users and developers) honest, even though it doesn't seem like it has any immediate impact.  Much like a stream of water and the Grand Canyon - even the smallest of protests has significance, and they don't go unnoticed in the end.  :thumbup:
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2013 Mar 20, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I guess the most interesting point in your posting is the wording of "interesting releases". According to other forum members, the filter box is not really interesting, and I turned it off immediately. (Thank Cthulhu for sane, uncluttered user interfaces; and take that, inventor of weirdly appreciated applications like Microsoft Office!)

- So, 2.3 is merely a less "interesting release" again. 6 months are not really long in a file manager's timeline, anyway. File browsing does not change much within even a decade.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

As you yourself stated, you use Listary which by its nature undermines the filterbox so of course it's "less interesting" to you - much the same as I dismiss fuzzy-filename matching in Scrap containers - even I, as a man who will always rail against logic and technocracy, prefer to play a game where I fully understand the rules and don't like letting CPU's make sorting decisions for me. :shrug:  But, someone must love the unwanted puppies of the world.

Like many users I don't go for the "all inclusive" approach of file management - I'm a big fan of subletting functionality to third-parties - so any changes to Mass-Rename or Folder Comparison would be met with a yawn by me.  But Nikos doesn't cater for the likes of us - he merely humours us from time to time - the rest is for the Muggles. :D
Tuxman wrote:File browsing does not change much within even a decade.
Considering things like SymLinks have been around since 1978, I'd have to agree.  Glacial progress is to be expected when exchanging the substrata for the vogue.
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

I'm going to turn off the filter box as well since I haven't had a use for it in the last couple of weeks, but mainly because there's an annoying quirk I consider a bug (so this is a bug report, too, Nikos):

When I'm quickly selecting files with the keyboard with Ctrl-Space every 5 or 6 selections (while keeping Ctrl pressed) the filter box steals focus and intercepts, reading a space as input in the filter box.

Shouldn't happen when Ctrl is still pressed and disturbs the workflow.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Symlinks are around since (about) 1978, but I highly doubt that anyone - except server admins - actually uses them.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Caveatrob

Symlinks?

Post by Caveatrob »

Actually, they're great for backing up folders that aren't physically in a Dropbox folder via Dropbox.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Dropbox folders can parse reparse-points?  Hmm!  Why does that make me think of things like this?  Is it just me? :D
kohai

Re: xplorer2 v2.3 final

Post by kohai »

Am I blind?

Tools > Options menu, Advanced page has a tickbox to make network access faster (plain icons, no overlays/tooltips/folder sizes, partial tree expansion). Combines the old advanced registry options GAOPT_TREENONETENUM and GAOPT_ECONOMYNETWD.

I don't see this menu option. I installed the latest version to see if it solves my incredibly slow connections over ExpanDrive 2.4. Windows explorer is fine, but xplorer2 is very slow (15-30 sec per directory change). I have the same problem with Xplorer2 1.6 (which is the one my license is for).

Anyway, am I blind? I don't see an option on Tools->Options->Advance that mentions making network access faster.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: xplorer2 v2.3 final

Post by fgagnon »

It should be the last item on the "Advanced" tab of the Tools > Options pop-up dialogbox.