Search within selected folders

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Search within selected folders

Post by nikos »

i could get more sense out of a brick wall!
guy browses a folder, and clicks on an item that happens to be a (sub)folder. Then he presses ctrl+F intending to search within the (parent)folder, but according to your ill-thought solution he will end up searching in the subfolder

designing systems is something you've some way to go my young apprentice ;)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

If he wants to search under the main folder he wouldn't have selected anything in the first place! We WANT to be able to search ONLY in selected subfolders, intentionally EXCLUDING the parent folder!

If he wants to search the current folder, he doesn't select ANYTHING (that's what makes it an option by context, with no GUI impact at all).

You, the master of the illogical non-ergonomic minimalist-option design (where everything is jammed into the smallest window possible with the smallest font possible) are lecturing ME about usability systems layout? Are you actually certain you use your own programme? (Never mind the hubris of lecturing a bricklayer about brick walls! What the heck is this world coming to?)

ozzii
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ozzii »

nikos wrote:anyway I thought of a more elegant way to do it through the context menu, for the next version!
The right click is OK. I will just need to see the usability.
But if with this we can add a button this will be great (because, if I understand well, you don't want to put this like a "normal" behavior).

Better a button than nothing.

@Kilmatead
In the popup I have the selected folders but not on the search window.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

ozzii wrote:In the popup I have the selected folders but not on the search window.
Try Test2 and see if it works better. No small window, but if it fails to write to the control, an error should be displayed. It works a little differently, but the end result should be the same.
ozzii
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ozzii »

I have this error:

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

This doesn't make sense - it targets and writes the proper control for me every time, no matter which version I use. Are you running as admin? Or have some kind of funky window manipulation software running (multiple-LCD's, for example)?

Does anyone else see this? (There's got to be someone else who can take 2 seconds to test this...)
ozzii
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ozzii »

I am under XP as admin...
I've checked the class of windows to be sure, it's OK with the autoit...
I've put in English, just in case, same.
I don't know what to say.

But if Nikos will add this (and I hope it will be available in a button), maybe you hit your head too much for not so much :beer:

In MenuHack the call is like this:

Code: Select all

DllCall("user32.dll", "int", "SendMessage", "hwnd", $ActiveWindow, "int", $WM_COMMAND, "long", $CmdLine[1], "long", 0)
Maybe a try with the dllcall?

EDIT: I disabled my windows manager "actual windows manager" but same.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Technically everything is done through DLL calls, it's just that the mundane actions are hidden in these scripting languages. The SendMessage function is not applicable (from a scripting perspective) in this situation, for a variety of reasons.

Just for the fun of it, try Test3 and see what kind of weirdness ensues. Each iteration I'm just using a worse and worse form of locating the control (more general/less-accurate, so a greater chance of hitting something), but considering they all repeatedly work for me, I'm confused.

I never liked automating things in this fashion (it's so clunky), but I don't have faith that Nikos even understands the request, never mind being able to do anything useful with it. His "elegant ways" are actually a track-record of missed opportunities unless someone holds his hand by sending 15 emails convincing him why every draft he tries isn't "quite right". Madness. A good thing his children inherited all their mental acuities from their Mum's DNA. :D

Anyway, give this version a shot, but don't hold your breath - there's absolutely no reason this control isn't targeting properly.
ozzii
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ozzii »

:baaa:

Maybe a special version for me with :
7 shift+tab
CTRL+V
7 tab
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I was afraid of that. Maybe XP really is finally a dead OS? :wink:

Since you already seem to have AutoIt, you can just tweak the script yourself, replacing the "ControlSetText()" line with a combination of Send() commands with your 7 tabs and whatnot - which is kind of like firing a shotgun in the dark trying to kill a super-intelligent mosquito ninja who's wearing a stealth-suit, but you might get lucky. Once you get focus to the correct control, you can just use "Send($Locations)" and that will insert the selected paths (as that part works fine), in lieu of <Ctrl+V>.

If I can't recreate it, I can't fix it. :cry:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Ok, try Test4 which uses the ridiculously blunt method of sending TAB keystrokes, etc. It works, but it's just too weird to take seriously. :shrug: :D
ozzii
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ozzii »

Kilmatead wrote:I was afraid of that. Maybe XP really is finally a dead OS? :wink:
Yes, but it's my pro laptop so I can't change the OS.
Kilmatead wrote:Since you already seem to have AutoIt
Don't have it... But I know to read a a script and to decipher it.
Kilmatead wrote:If I can't recreate it, I can't fix it. :cry:
I know :?

I will check the apps at home with my Win7
ozzii
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ozzii »

Kilmatead wrote:Ok, try Test4 which uses the ridiculously blunt method of sending TAB keystrokes, etc. It works, but it's just too weird to take seriously. :shrug: :D
Maybe it's not serious but it's working :party:
The keystrokes remind me of Autohotkey, so it's not so weird for me :wink:
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

nikos wrote:i could get more sense out of a brick wall!
It takes one to know one!
I, too would much like to see such a naturally easy way to search selected subfolders.
ozzii
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ozzii »

What !!! now we are 3 who would like to see this "natural" search...

3 it's a LOT of people... Now Nikos you know what to do :wink: