Talking of improvements requests... (about columns)

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Ross
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Talking of improvements requests... (about columns)

Post by Ross »

I got astonished when I saw the list of available columns to display in the detailed list view. "Car phone", "Department", "Division", "Participants" and about 150+ things!
But I don't see one I'd find particularly useful: the total number of files, to be applied to folders only. It would be nice to know when we're managing a 'database': the number of entries, without the need to hit F12 to see the file properties.
Think about it! :)
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Talking of improvements requests... (about columns)

Post by FrizzleFry »

how about Contents [S]
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Ross wrote:...and about 150+ things!
Actually, Win7 provides about 286 enumerated columns of its own, while x2 donates an extra 30-ish, so you're really talking in the range of 300, never mind any extra ones added by other programmes. To generate a complete list from your machine as a text file (easier to peruse them all) directly from the Windows Component Object Model (COM), or experiment with a different way to use them in x2, see this blog.
Ross
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ross »

FrizzleFry wrote:how about Contents [S]
Duh, my bad. Sorry. I was looking for "number of files" or "# of files". It was just in front of me.
Wow, 286+30? I counted by area, lol

@Kilma: Thanks for the reference. I now assigned a keyboard shortcut for viewing the details pane!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Note that Contents [S] only reports the number of items (files and subfolders) directly in a folder, and does not count items in any subfolders.
Ross
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ross »

Damn, now I understand why some numbers are so oddly low! :)
What's the point having the 'contents' display only the number of items in the immediate lower level but not in all folder's structure? I know this could be a HDD hog, but as far as I remember, there used to be an option called "evaluate folder sizes automatically" which was off by default, and came along with a note that it could hog the system. Well, apparently, not anymore. So I'm led to think Nikos doesn't think this is a slowing function anymore.
Nikos, please consider implementing a new column similar to "contents" but "full featured"! :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for subfolders try TOOLS > FOLDER STATISTICS menu
Ross
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ross »

Thanks, the last time I viewed folder statistics was five years ago. I didn't notice that it could be easily accessed with a simple keyboard shortcut (Alt+D). In this case, I withdraw my suggestion, since this could be indeed an unnecessary reason for a hard drive to load.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

If you still want (for whatever reason) to see such enumerations in column form, the column extender FolderSize will add Folder Size [X], File Children [X], Folder Children [X] and All Children [X] columns into the list of available columns (added at the bottom). The "All Children" column will populate with the total number of objects, as expected.

Ignore what the website says about FolderSize only adding custom columns on XP and not working on further versions of Windows - it will work fine with x2 (just make sure you install the appropriate bit-wise version that you're using). As to why it continues to work on x2, please read this blog which may or may not be about Nikos massaging his own ego in relation to such things. It's informative either way, though a little more technical for the common-reader than the otherwise fanciful psychology of Freud might suggest. :wink:
Ross
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ross »

Looks very insteresting that Folder Size utility, but the list of drawbacks on the bottom made me wait a while for the test. Thanks anyway for pointing that out.